Thirteen - Ira

Yulian and I took great pleasure in driving to the Alaskan border in total darkness just to throw Asmar's tracker over the fence. We didn't want to cross into the USA again because we didn't know how widely Oasis were looking for us. In the snow and between two tree trunks would be as far as "Linkin" would get in Alaska for Asmar.

"That was a seriously bad throw," I told Yulian, who was stiff as a board facing the way that I'd turned him. "Yulian, you can look away from the fence now. We're going back."

"It's not like I have the eyes," he whined and didn't move until I steered him back to the car by his shoulders. It was like he didn't want to leave.

"You're annoyed," I pointed out once we were on the road if it could even be called that. I could perfectly see the way ahead, but Yulian has long since given up and was looking at his hands in his lap. When he didn't answer, I prompted jokingly, "Oh, you miss me already?"

"I don't know about taking down Hainan without any of you," he admitted quietly against the crunching of the road underneath the heavy tires. "It's different with Four. I'll be a soldier again."

I glanced at Yulian for a second before returning my eyes to the winding road. "Four isn't that bad. She's strategic and harsh, but she's nothing like them. You're still fighting for the same thing."

"It's different with you and the others," Yulian grumbled. "I'm sorry. I know I'm just complaining, and this is the right arrangement, I know."

"It's okay." The car went over a rock that made us bounce uncomfortably in our seats. "I'd rather you came with us too."

"Just please, try to stay in one piece and keep everyone in one piece." Yulian gulped before continuing, "Once I was given an official number by the Oasis Project, they staged accidents where my family was all killed. They showed me photographs from every angle to hammer in the fact that I had nothing outside of their program, nothing to go back to. Now you are my family."

I stopped the car in the middle of the snow-covered road and laid a hand on his shoulder, looking into his sorrowful eyes. "I'm sorry."

Even when Yulian tried to maintain a blank expression, his hands were shaking. "Do you ever just want to stop fighting, Ira?"

"All the time," I admitted, even though I had no idea what awaited me on the other side of this constant fighting.

"I can't wait for it to be over," he said. "I want a quiet life, maybe entertain some kids for a living..."

I pulled up the handbrake and shook my head. "That doesn't sound very quiet, Yulian, but whatever you want, you'll get, I'm sure." Smiling, I pulled him into a tight hug as he started laughing at his contradiction.

󠁌♟♙♟♙

A shit-eating grin spread across Yulian's face as we pulled up to the glaring lights of the radioactive prison. He undid his seatbelt before I could come to a complete stop, and if I didn't glare at him, he would have jumped out of the car while it was still moving. When he did get out, he stretched his long limbs in the drifting snow, and I eventually joined in. It had been a long trip and my body was cold and cramped.

"Finally! Can see!" Yulian exclaimed in English, laughing up at the stark white lights before doing a backflip with an echoing whoop that would have woken every living being in the vicinity. His phone fell out of his pocket just before he landed softly on his feet. He swore in Russian when he picked it up, then swore again when he checked what he'd missed with a frown. "Linkin called. Do I call back or just go inside?"

I blinked, not knowing the answer either but instantly worried about what Linkin would need Yulian or the both of us for. Without another word, we hurried out of the cold and found Linkin resting in her bedroom, looking bored. I tried to squeeze in next to Yulian's snow-dusted shoulder, but the tight space made me claustrophobic.

"Are you okay?" Yulian asked, panting.

Linkin huffed and rolled her eyes. "You were gone for hours, and your phone was on silent?"

Yulian looked like a child who'd been caught red-handed. "Sorry..." Knowing him, he probably always had his phone on silent. The buzzing and ringing would be more of a nuisance to him than to the rest of us.

"What happened?" I asked, which made Linkin sit up in annoyance.

"Well, while you were on your pilgrimage to throw away that tracker, I got a call from our favourite tracker-man." Linkin moved slowly to face us, careful to not tear the stitches on her ribs. "He wasn't happy that only one of the three trackers was moving towards Alaska."

Yulian's jaw dropped. "Three..."

Linkin raised her eyebrows. "Wanted to save you guys the trip, but..." She shrugged. "Stewie's going to help me get the other two out tonight when Four's asleep. She won't look for where I'm patched up as long as the surgery is done and I am recovering. Asmar is giving me a week to hand over Fang. I can't travel far right after surgery, but we all have plenty of time to get out of here."

"Is he stupid?" was what I wanted to know. "Unless he wants to see how you plot your next move? Why tell you about the other trackers, especially the exact number?"

"There's probably a reason why his organization isn't doing so well," Linkin said with a smirk, not looking bothered in the slightest. Her confidence made me relax a little. "Don't worry, you guys go to sleep. That must've been tiring. Thank you for driving all the way out."

I watched Yulian stifle a yawn. "You sure? You don't need help? Stuart doesn't need help?"

"Ira, go to bed."

"If you're sure." I smiled, wriggling out of my parka. Yulian and I said goodnight to Linkin and wished her a swift recovery, and it was when we shut the door that a thought occurred to me. "Hey, you know how the plan is to go to a farm, somewhere remote?"

"Yes?" Yulian sounded concerned about what I would say next.

"Don't we know one?" I grinned when Yulian's eyes lit up in realization. "Four's old base. Not too bad except for the sunburn."