Twenty-Five - Linkin

Four was yelling as Fang and I walked down the stairs. I kept an arm around him and my other hand held a cup of coffee. I had a feeling that I was going to need it. "Four," I spoke up with a sigh, too tired to yell over top of her.

"They shouldn't be–"

"Four," I tried again with more force as we reached the bottom of the stairs.

Fang clung to my side as he saw the strangers who filled in our living room. "Hi Beiya," Fang spoke up softly and quickly all conversation died.

I didn't recognize most of the new faces, but I was confident I knew them all. Seeing Yulian, I smiled weakly and nodded. "Glad even a broken arm can't keep you down," I teased before kneeling down to Fang's height as Yulian stepped forward. "Do you know who that is?"

Fang's head shook as he glanced between me and Yulian hesitantly. "How could he not?" Yulian was laughing.

"That's Uncle Yulian, the one who is always texting Aunt Ira." I smiled as Fang stared at Yulian. "Do you remember what you promised him to do for him when he finally arrived here?"

Fang's face was blank for a moment before brightening. Yulian stared at me, confused as Fang sprinted over and took Yulian by his good hand. "Let's go see the chickens!"

I stood up straighter and took a sip of coffee as Yulian stared at me. I raised my eyebrows as if I was saying what are you waiting for? Yulian finally laughed and nodded, letting Fang pull him towards the door. "Wu, you coming too?" Yulian called over his shoulder to a flushed Chinese man.

"Go on, it's not that bad." Ira was smirking a bit as she stood by Stuart who didn't find any humour in the situation at all.

The room was quiet once the child was out of the room. Four looked to me as I rested my cup of coffee on the banister. "Ready?"

She frowned. "I need to speak with them first."

I shook my head and scoffed, "What for? They know nothing, I know nothing. The files you sent me were useless. We don't know anything about Russia and we're out of options except for my plan."

Thierry perked up at that, raising his head and furrowing his brow. "What are you talking about? When did you two have the time to talk?"

"I told you she called ahead." I picked up my coffee and walked into the kitchen, pouring myself another cup. "Just because everyone slept over the last two days, doesn't mean I did. After the attack on China, I went to review the files which Anaba and Mato recovered." I paused at the twins names and glanced to Four. "They aren't here, right?"

She shook her head. "Said something about not wanting to go to the home of a traitor."

"That's not fair!" Thierry raised his voice.

"You're arguing with people who aren't here," I pointed out to him, doing my best not to show how much Four's words hurt. I knew it was my fault that Emma was dead and I didn't expect them to forgive me. I expected exactly what I got. I continued speaking as if the thought never crossed my mind. "Well, the files they retrieved were relatively useless. Just more information on other places like Dell Island which are now shut down. There are lists of names of previous experiments, hundreds of dead children." I closed my eyes and I could see the multi-page document of just names and ages which seemed never-ending. "But nothing about Russia. No blueprints, I don't even know their security measures or even who most of the workers are."

The group was quiet and Ira looked at me."You're suggesting we send someone inside Russia, aren't you?" Her voice almost had a tremble to it and I nodded stiffly. "Are you insane?"

"Probably."

"No one is going to willingly volunteer to do that," Thierry objected.

Stuart looked between all of us before finally wrapping an arm around Ira. "She's not going back there."

"No, she isn't," I quickly agreed with Stuart and finally looked to Thierry, Four following my gaze. "But there is someone willing to go in, someone who will be immune to most of their torture methods long enough to gain the information they need."

Thierry shook his head, staring at me confused.

"Look, I know most of us are basically super-humans, but none of you are strong enough to get captured, be tortured, gain information, then break back out."

"You're right."

"Then what are you on about?"

There was a panic rising up in Thierry's voice. He was starting to realize what I was talking about. "Nita and Stuart can alter one of the monitoring chips which Four took out of Ira." Ira tensed, her eyes widening some – I didn't know what idea terrified her more. "If it's in me, between myself and the camera, I can get all the information I need." The room was silent and my throat was dry. No one spoke even after I finished my sip of coffee. "I can't feel pain and Oasis Russia is not known for their mind games. I can survive long enough inside to get information. Ira escaped once, and she can help me do it again before I even go in."

Ira violently shook her head, "I had to murder people for that and I was a child! And that wasn't even inside their compound!"

"You're not doing this. You're not thinking straight." Thierry growled.

"Then we aren't taking them down within the next decade and we'll forever be on the run as they just get stronger," Four hissed coldly.