(15) Scavenger's Hunt

~Madeleine~

It's Friday afternoon and I anxiously look at the clock hanging on the pastel yellow wall of our Art class. Despite Art being my favorite subject I haven't drawn a line for the past hour.

Why did I have to agree to coming to the party and even worst whit a date. I lied I don't have a date but I had too, in order to save my already crashing honor, with Elliana, Megan and everyone else united to trample over it.

Now who the hell am I going to take ?

My eyes wander of to my right. There is Maximus-- a guy I never noticed before but have seen a few times with Cameron. They must be good friends or something. For a second I entertain the taught of taking him as my date to the party but soon enough comeback to my senses and throw the taught out of my head.

The bell rings and I rush out as soon as it does. I am running in the hallway with my art supplies in my hands. Soon enough I cringe at the contact of my forehead to something hard. My painting brushes stumble all over on the floor and as I look up I meet gazes with Maximus.

"Oh sorry Madeleine, careful. Let me help you " He blurts out squatting on the floor to help me gather my things.

"Oh no it's ok,really,it's nothing!"  I say trying to bring less attention to myself than I already have.

Maximus ignores my pleadings and continues picking my things. When he's all done he hands them to me.

"So how are you Madeleine ?" He finally says.

"I'm great thank you". I politely reply.

"Well I'm happy to hear that. If there's anything you need help with let me know."

"I will" I speedily say and turn ready to open my locker. I pause for a second and turn my head back to him and squint my eyes from distress. 

"Actually..." I say "there is something I would need for..."

Very much surprised he looks at me with his eyes wide : " Yes of course anything, I'm listening."

"Ok this may be weird but... would you want to accompany me to Megan's birthday party this Sunday ?"

His face expression drastically changes as he was obviously not expecting that.

He stands for a moment not saying anything and I already regret asking him I knew I shouldn't not off, I knew this would be awkward.

"If you don't want to it's ok, you know, I totally understand." 

"That's not it its's just you see Cameron is my best friend and he kinda has a thing for you. I don't want to interfere."

A heat wave hits me and I feel subtle drips of sweat running on my forehead. "Oh.. If that's what you're worried about.. He wont be a problem. Don't worry you're not interfering. There's nothing you could interfere with, besides even if he had a thing for me it's over so..."

"Ok then I guess we could go."

"You're sure you want to because I don't want to force you into doing something you don't

 want."

"Oh no, no you're not forcing me into something. What are you talking about having Madeleine Lana Ellington as your date is a dream for any straight boy at Alaska Silvers Hight."

I try to hide a shy smile caused my his nice words, that are too nice to be truth anyways. I know many boys in the school find me attractive but Maximus is exaggerating.

"So then it's settled ?" 

"Settled" He confirms. " So what time do we need to be there ?"

"Hum wait let me check. " I pull out the yellow envelop from my backpack and focus my eyes on the cursive writing. " Seven, we need to there at seven...Megan asks to come without lateness."