thirty-eight.

Rhett walked in through the sliding doors, making a sharp right to find the main desk. Three children and a head of familiar blonde hair had him hesitating in his steps. Lando was looking around, taking in the enormous space with awe, before his bright eyes landed on Rhett. 

"Uncle Rhett!" He chirped, dashing away from Christy as she turned to grab him. Rhett took a steadying breath, before leaning down enough to wrap his arms around the boy, lifting him up with an exaggerated groan, 

"Geeze, Lando, you're almost gettin' to big for that." Rhett remarked, gently placing him down. Lando found his footing, throwing his head back to give him a grin. Rhett was struck with the resemblance, with how much he looked like Link in that moment. 

"Lando, come back over here!" Christy's voice was stern, as her gaze flipped from her youngest, to Rhett. He didn't fail to miss the fire in those eyes. 

"Rhett." She simply said, before turning back to face Sharon, taking the visitor stickers before doling them out to the kids. Rhett took a deep breath, taking the space beside her to sign in himself. 

This was going to be an interesting visit, he thought.

The elevator ride up to the fourth floor was painfully tense, and Rhett felt like it couldn't get much worse than this. 

"He in here 'cause of you?" She broke the silence with a hushed question, laced with a snarky undertone. Rhett closed his eyes and willed himself to be calm. I guess things could get worse. 

"No, he's not."

"That girl's got to have something to do with it, then." She replied, turning her attention from Rhett, to the doors. The kids were in their own world, standing in front of them and talking about how their dad most likely fell down some stairs, or got his hand stuck in a door. The usual Link injuries. It would have made Rhett laugh, if it wasn't for the seething woman standing beside him. 

"Shouldn't you be more concerned about Link's well being? The father of your children?" Rhett shot back under his breath. He could hear Chrisy's shark intake, before the door opened with a signaling ding. 

They exited together, Rhett quickly striding to the front of the group, distancing himself from the blonde while glancing at the door numbers, stopping at room C34. He knocked three times, but heard no answer. 

"Must be sleepin'." Rhett remarked, before gently pushing the door open, the rest of the group on his heels. 

Rhett hesitated a beat, seeing Lucy curled up intimately with Link, and he quickly glanced behind him to see the rest of the group lay eyes on the duo. Christy looked dejected, the kids utterly confused. 

"Hey guys, wake up." Rhett approached them, gently laying a hand on Lucy's shoulder and shaking. She stirred, eyes fluttering open as she glanced up at him, 

"Oh. Hey, Rhett. Sorry, he didn't want to be alone, so I just-" 

"It's alright. But, um, his family's here to see 'em." He informed her, softly. 

She knit her brows, focus coming to her in gradual bits and pieces as she glanced across the room to lock eyes with a familiar blonde, her narrow gaze scrutinizing and burning a hole right through her. Lucy wanted to grab the covers and throw them over her head, her cheeks alight with a brilliant pink. Breaking the intense hold the older woman had on her, she stole a glance at the three children standing behind her, their expressions ranging from shock, Lily, to confusion, Lando. Lincoln seemingly unreadable. 

She said nothing to the small group as she quickly hopped off the bed, turning in place to gently lay a hand on Link's broad shoulder, nudging him awake. 

"Where you goin'?" He breathed out, blinking rapidly as he came to. Lucy managed a warm smile, her fingers absently running up through his wild hair, before quickly pulling them away with a flustered purse of her lips.

"Your family is here, Link. You gotta wake up." She informed him, softly. 

That simple sentence was more effective than any alarm clock he could have ever had, as he quickly knit his brows and pushed himself up, a little too quickly, albeit. 

"Ouch." He winced, grasping his side as he dropped his chin to his chest. 

"I'm going to go get some coffee, or somethin'. Give ya'll some time." Rhett stated, standing awkwardly far from the rest of the group. "Lu?" He looked at her in question, and she nodded her head, grateful for the escape from Christy's ever searing gaze.

"Coffee? It's two in the afternoon." Link interjected.

"You drink coffee before bed time." Lando piped up, and Lu snorted out an involuntary huff of a laugh. He's not wrong.

"Are you dating my dad?" Another voice chimed in, deeper, but still young. Lu raised her brows, turning to face the family huddled together. She looked past Christy, to see Lincoln  frowning. "Are you the reason they're getting a divorce?" He added on, rather harshly. Lu swallowed thickly,

"I-I don't think I should be the one telling you guys this-"

"No, go ahead. Tell them all about it. Tell them why they don't see their father anymore." Christy all but growled, and Lu saw Rhett's stance stiffen from her peripheral.

"Christy, stop it." Link spoke up, the rustling of the sheets enough to pull Lu from her stupor. She pivoted on a heel, hands reaching out to grasp his forearms as he sat straight, legs thrown over the edge as though he was moving to stand. Link managed a warm smile amidst the current tension,

"Maybe you should go get some coffee. I've got some things I need to tell the kids." Link spoke softly, resisting the urge to kiss the concern from her lips.

"Okay, Link. I'll see you soon." She pulled away, verdant gaze bouncing from Link, to Rhett. He nodded, walking past Christy and the kids quickly to fall on step with Lu, his long arm reaching out to grab the door for her.

Lu could feel the older woman's gaze on her, see the way her mouth pulled into a sneer as she eyed the prominent hickeys that ran the length of her neck. Lu swallowed thickly as she raised her chin, deciding that if there was ever a time to stop hiding, it would be now.

// unedited and written on my phone, sorry for the ridiculous delay. Love you if you're still reading. Xoxo