thirty.

Rhett was leaned up against his car, arms crossed over his broad torso as he squinted against the setting sun. The crew had gone by now, the parking lot void of anyone say for himself, and the couple currently locking lips against the car parked beside him. Normally, he wouldn't bat an eye, but it was a weird feeling seeing his best friend kiss someone who wasn't his wife of almost two decades, the normal blonde head of hair replaced with a shorter, younger brunette. Rhett wasn't going to say anything, hell, at least he's finally happy. 

"Remember, I'll be waitin' for you at the hotel. Shouldn't take longer than a couple hours." Link pulled away from her, eyes searching her face for any sort of hesitance. She could say the word, and he would cancel everything they've planned at the drop of a hat. She smiled softly at him, raising a hand up to gently cup the side of his face, the stubble there tickling her palm. It was growing fast, casting a tired look on his face. 

"Okay, Link. Wish me luck." She joked lightly, and he scoffed, reaching his own hands up to gently palm either side of her jaw, pulling her upwards to press another solid kiss to her lips. 

He hoped Rhett would keep his promise, unlike him. He would have to tell her sooner or later, but he opted for later, when it was just the two of them. The twisting anxiety he felt beneath his sternum wasn't helping, either. 

"You don't need luck, baby. You're gonna have a great time, Rhett's a fun guy to hang out with." He reminded her, his thumb absently stroking along the curve of her cheekbone. 

Rhett tore his gaze away from the duo, as he felt like he was intruding on an intimate moment, one that should occur behind closed doors. It still baffled him how Link was brazenly kissing her out in the open like this, with everything else going on. He supposed it was just the way he was, unabashed, impulsive, he would almost say carefree if he wasn't such a control freak. With a subtle cough and a raise of his brows, he caught Link's attention. 

"Hey love birds, we're not gonna get anythin' done unless you two learn how to say goodbye." He remarked, a taunting lilt in his voice. Lucy felt her cheeks grew warm, the sudden reminder that there was someone else there besides them made her uncomfortable. Link snickered toward Rhett, before turning his attention back to the woman before him. 

"As annoying as he is, he's right. I'll see you tonight." He kissed her once more, the finality of it felt through the pressure he used, before taking a step back and throwing his attention to Rhett. He didn't need to say anything, and Rhett nodded his head. 

"I'll have her back by 9 at the latest." Rhett remarked with a playful lilt, and Link shook his head. 

"Try not to win her over with your devilish good looks, Bo." He threw back. Lucy laughed lightly as she approached Rhett's SUV, 

"Imma try. You know it's not somethin' I can control."

She heard Link chuckle lightly, before the sound of his car door closing signaled his departure. Link smiled warmly at her as he pulled out of the lot, and she waved at him before he left. 

Almost immediately, she felt anxious. She hated this feeling, and she wished he were still beside her, cracking jokes and lifting the tension that fell over her like a heavy blanket. Rhett spoke up from beside her, hesitantly placing a hand on her shoulder, 

"You hungry?" She turned her attention upwards, meeting his warm gaze with a small smile. 

"Yeah, I could eat." She spoke quietly, as though she wasn't sure of her own words. Rhett wanted her to feel comfortable around him, like she could tell him anything. 

It wasn't until they were driving down the road, that he realized he was comparing her with Christy, and how well they had gotten on. He furrowed his brows in thought as a silence fell between them; he didn't really think much of it, she was twisting with anxiety.