thirteen.

The clock on the dashboard read 12:32, the streets barren and dark in front of her apartment complex as Link pulled up to the curb. The unspoken details of their relationship was still up in the air, if there was any relationship at all. Lucy wasn't exactly sure what to do in this moment, her hand itching to reach for the handle and escape the tension, but she knew that she would have to face him tomorrow morning, either way. 

"I don't want things to be awkward between us." Link spoke up, letting his hands fall in his lap as he turned to face her. She glanced upwards, meeting his gaze with her own. He looked exhausted, his hair askew from the countless times he's ran his fingers through it, his eyes tired and dark. 

"Me neither." She replied. "But I guess neither of us thought something like this would ever happen." She seemed to pique Link's interest, his soft expression that of curiousness, egging her to continue. 

"Ever since my first day working at the Studio, I've been drawn to you. I don't want to call it a crush...That just-"

"Doesn't do it justice." He interjected softly. She couldn't help the small smile that pulled on her lips, knowing that Link knew exactly how she felt. 

"And every day after that, I feel myself falling more for you. But you're married. You have kids, and I let it be. I didn't think anything of it, even though you were constantly on my mind...And then you kissed me." She whispered, her mind reeling back to that moment for a brief second, "It felt like...We were the only ones in the world. Where our actions had no consequence, and it was...Something I've never felt before." She dropped her gaze to her hands, fiddling with the hem of her shirt as she waited for a response. Link reached out, his touch ghosting across the back of her hand as though in silent question. She let him intertwine their fingers, his hand so much larger than her own. It caused butterflies to swarm in her stomach, and a knot to form in her chest. It felt so incredibly right. 

"Lucy." He breathed out, garnering her attention once more. "I don't know what I'm goin' to do, after everythin' that's happened. But I know that when I'm with you...I don't have a care in the world. I have never felt this way, about anyone." She felt her chest ache, and her eyes to sting with unwanted tears. His confession seemed to snatch her breath right up, his affectionately warm gaze burning right through her. 

"Not even...?" She whispered, not daring to say her name. Link closed his eyes slowly, a look of sadness gracing his features for the briefest moment, 

"Not even her." 

"Link..." She didn't know where to begin. This was opening up a world of possibilities between the two of them, the idea of it absolutely daunting. 

"I know how I feel about you, Lu. I also know there are a million and one things I need to take care of in my own life, before I can even think 'bout bringing you into it. But I just want you to know, however long it takes for me to get my act together, I'll be here." He stated, his hand tightening around her's in an affectionate grip. She pulled her lower lip between her teeth as she met his gaze, so much more serious than she was used to. It was packed full with emotions, raw and foreign to the woman. 

"Then I'll wait. However long it takes." She replied, softly. Her response seemed to be the exact words he was waiting for, a tender smile pulling on his lips as he admired her for a moment. It was a good sight, seeing him smile after the fanatical night he's experienced. They shared the moment in silence, before she finally reached for the door handle. Link reluctantly pulled his hand away, 

"Carpool tomorrow?" He asked, catching her before she stepped out. She nodded her head, the smile still plastered on her face, 

"Yes, please." 

Link watched her as she stepped out of the car, but the feeling that ached in his chest overwhelmed him, and he found himself quickly clambering out, not even bothering to shut the door as he quickly rounded the front. 

"One more thing." He breathed out, catching the younger woman by surprise. He leaned down to press his lips against hers firmly, his hands placed on either side of her slender neck as he inhaled the sweet floral scent of her perfume. It was just as amazing as the first time, her lips working against his own so eagerly it took his breath away. Lucy found herself reaching upwards to wrap her lithe fingers around his wrists, his touch warm and comforting as he took a chance and ran his tongue along the seam of her lips. She didn't miss a beat, her mouth parting with a soft moan as invitation, one that Link eagerly breathed in. 

The air was chilly that night, goosebumps rising on the mans skin in combination with the cold and Lucy's touch. She tasted divine, sweet and tantalizing as he kissed her fiercely, like it would be the last time. He savored it, pushing it to last longer than it should have, their breath becoming ragged and their stance practically melded together as one, chest against chest as he towered over her, before she finally broke away. 

She tilted her head back, meeting his gaze through thick eyelashes and a cloud of what Link could only describe as lust. It was a look he had never seen on her before, her verdant gaze darkened to a sliver of color along black, lips full and swollen from his kiss, hair wild and haloed underneath the streetlight above them. 

"I love you." He breathed out, without thinking. His brain to mouth filter was always a little slow, but with the way she looked at him, he seemed to have lost it all together. She audibly gasped at the words, her trance broken by the sudden and surprising confession that fell from the mans lips. Link realized he messed up with abrupt step she took back, one hand flying up to push her mane of chestnut locks away from her angled face. 

"I should....I should go inside." She breathed out.

"Wait! Lu...I'm sorry, I shouldn't have. I don't know what I'm doin', I-" He quickly spoke up, his tone frantic as he gave her a pleading expression. "Please, don't go just yet." 

Lucy kneaded her lower lip between her teeth as she looked at him, really took in the man. It wasn't that she didn't feel the same way...It was that she does. She didn't want Link confessing his love in the mourning period of his failed marriage, or in the slightly delirious state of no sleep for almost 24 hours. They both knew that he wasn't stable, they had already acknowledged that, and yet, here they were. Kissing underneath the flickering street lamp in front of her apartment. 

"Link...You can't tell me that right now. Not with everything going on, you can't say that." She breathed out, shakily. Link was struck for a moment, his gaze unwavering as he watched her take a steadying breath. 

"Take some time, Link. Really think about what you want, and what you're going to do." She managed. Her heart was thudding hard against her sternum, her head swirling with thoughts as her lips tingled with the residual touch he left. It was all so much for her, and she wasn't even the one dealing with the cheating spouse. Link swallowed thickly as he clung to her words. She was right. The gears in his head weren't working like normal, and he realized that he was acting out of pure impulsiveness. Although, the confession that escaped his lips moments prior was genuine, and he meant it, he just didn't realize it until now. 

"I already told you...I'll wait, however long it takes." She whispered, her verdant gaze boring into him as she spoke. Link managed to nod his head, reaching up to run his fingers through his hair yet again as he finally breathed out, 

"I don't know what I'm thinkin'...I don't wanna scare you away, but I don't want you to leave. I just..." He couldn't finish his words, an impatient sigh escaping him as he couldn't figure out the right way to articulate his feelings. She stepped closer to him once more, her small hand reaching upwards to touch the side of his face, the stubble tickling her palm as she spoke, 

"It's alright. I promise." 

- leave me a comment and tell me what you think so far! xoxo