XLIV

"I have to say, I was a little confused when you came here to see me."

"Yeah, well, it wasn't exactly my idea," I explained to my brother in law as I tapped my head to indicate that it was my wolf.

He gave me an "ah" and held up a mug which I shook my head at. Then he held up a bottle of beer from the fridge which I took happily.

"What can I get for you?"

"You are going to help me get my mate back."

"How am I supposed to do that?"

"You know this forest and all the surrounding areas better than anyone else," he scoffed and looked at his shoes, blue eyes going lighter.

Stupid hybrid eyes.

"So?"

"So, I need you to help me get out of this place and back to my mate."

"Luke, I-"

"Listen, I know this is a lot to ask of you. This is a lot for me, too," I stepped away from him and tapped that beer against my leg with thought," But she's my mate and she sacrificed herself to a monster and it is my job to help her get away."

He nodded in understanding. 

I never found out how Tyler is around Nova or his family. How he is when it's just the four of them. I always wondered if he smiles more or laughs more or is just more animated when its just those he loves.

"I can help you," he finally said. 

__

It was late when we finally told Nova about the plan. Of course, she wanted to come.

"Nova, no," Tyler whispered to his mate, holding her by the upper arms and staring into my baby sisters eyes," Someone needs to watch the kids and we can't exactly ask Catherine."

"What about Holly? Can't we ask her over?"

"Anymore people involved and Mike will get curious. We can't have him following us while we rescue November," I told her from my place just down the hall. We were stood in the town floor of their little house and I was leaning against the twins room. 

Last year Nova and Tyler put together separate rooms for Eve and Ethan but they mainly use them for their toys. Eve always sleeps Ethan's room and Ethan likes to play with the dollhouse in Eve's. They are far too connected to be separated for even a few hours during the night time.

"Stay out of this, Luke. I'm talking to my ma-"

She stopped talking and I watched my sister's eyes light up the way they did whenever she thought of a new hiding place as a child.

"I think I have an idea."

Tyler smiled at his mate with pride and I grimaced, knowing that whatever Nova Brielle Sterling was thinking was not a plan that I would be happy going along with.

November's POV

I watched his face while he slept. It was calm and peaceful and a little beat up from the last day. Valentin says these hours with him are a gift from Cyrus. 

"November..."

He was barely able to whisper my name in this state. He knew that when the sun rises this morning we would be issuing his death sentence. 

So was the way of Ivalo.

We hadn't left Alaska just yet, Cyrus had been delayed due to issues with his plane and we would be staying until the sun is down.

That is another thing I hated about these people. They never use modern wording like "we leave at nine this afternoon". It's always makes things feel ominous and eerie. Like the end of the day will always bring another death.

Normally, it does.

"Please try to sleep, friend."

He gave me a slip lipped smile. I never called him that before. He knows I'm only saying it to make up for the fact that we didn't always get along. He knows that he may die soon and that I am trying to keep up the pretense that this is just a friendly get together.

I brushed his sunshine-like hair out of his face and admired how beautiful my friend really was. I never really looked at him this way. 

I guess every last one of them really are angels.

"I'm sorry, Ajax," I murmured into his hair, pressing my dried lips to his forehead in a whispery kiss as I cradled his head," I never deserved this many blessings and now they are all being taken away from me."

"Whe-"

He broke out into a fit of coughing. The wolfsbane was now not only keeping him from healing but also effecting his ability to fight off the cold of this dank little dungeon. I looked around it with hopes of a little space in this damned hole with more heat than where we are. 

I couldn't find one so I pulled off my sweater to cover hug it around him better and hummed a song I had heard Luna Lacey singing back at the pack house.

Ah, Mon beau château... Ah, mon beau château... Ma tant'tire lire, lire...

I went over and over those words, never understanding the meaning all while I stroked the hair on top of his head like a mother would to her sick child.

And then the sky turned pink and I watched the sun rise with a small tear streaking down my solemn face.

Big girls have to cry, sometimes.