VII

"November..."

I could hear it. The voice in my head. The fear in my gut. The stone in my soul. He was coming.

My mind took control and I spun on my heal to run as fast as possible but my wolf speed failed me.

"November, November, come here, November..."

My heart beat so fast in my chest, I wanted to cry and scream but I knew that would only make him angrier. I couldn't cry. Big girls don't cry.

Big girls never cry.

A branch fell in front of me, blocking my path to safety. I staggered back and then I felt his cool hands on my arms.

I can't cry, I can't cry.

Please, don't cry.

"You ran from me, November," his voice was a veteran to my nightmares," how could you run from me? Don't you love me?"

"No," I managed to whisper.

"Really? Well, I love you. You know I love you. So why would you run from me?"

I choked back a sob. His voice grated on my hope. My will. My soul.

If there is one man in this world I would kill, it was him.

I wished death would come to me as he moved closer, arm wrapping around my neck like a python, choking the life out of me.

His hot kisses were on the back of my neck, hand on my stomach and sliding down. A tear left my eyes.

___

"Morning, sleeping beauty," Sophia giggled as she moved a dead rabbit  around with a stick. It had been skinned and the head and legs removed but they left the remains nearby so it was very obviously a rabbit.

I rubbed my eyes in a vain attempt to remind myself that it wasn't real. That everything I just saw was all in my head. It was all just a dream and my mind made every last bit of it up.

It wasn't real.

Ajax was stood by the trees, rubbiby his wrists and watching the perimeter. He must have been up for a long time judging by the dark circles under his eyes. We all sported them. The ground is far from comfortable and the rights are rarely warm.

I reached over to pick up the sweater I'd used as a pillow last night and pulled it on, sparing a glance towards Isabella. She looked peaceful.

I wonder what she dreams.

Sofia saw me looking at her sister and stood up to hand me a bit of the meat. I took a step closer to her and took it gratefully. Rabbit is probably one of my favorite meals.

As I chewed on it and waited for Isabella to wake up I drew a mental map of where we were off to next. South seemed like the fastest route but we would be able to blend in more if we headed Southeast, towards the bigger cities.

In order to lower the chances of being caught in the Jade Forest territory, we should head towards Ontario and Toronto then take a ferry into the states.

We would need passports and some forms of visas. Where do we get those?

Luke's POV

I turned the blue passport over in my hands. It looked too small and insignificant to be able to give someone the power to do awesome things.

By awesome I mean in the literal sense. Absolute awe.

Like chasing down your rouge mate and actually talking to her again.

When I think of her dark hair and harsh eyes, I remember how the transition between anger, fear, and confusion all looked like it was on autopilot.

When was the last time she made a decision for herself? What was the last thing she did for no reason other than to do it? Where is the freedom in her being free?

Nothing makes my wolf purr like thinking of how we could make her smile. I haven't seen her smile. Is it big? Small? A smirk? A grin? Toothy?

Her laugh would sound like bells on Christmas day. I know it. She must smell like everything good in the world. No matter what she is.

A rouge can be a part of a pack if accepted by the Alpha and then she will be a wolf. A real wolf.

My wolf pulled me further into the woods, signalling that we had to catch then quickly.

They might leave soon.

She can't get far.

When she hits the border she will either need a fake passport or a coyote to get her out Canada. We can catch up on her then.

I looked up at the rising sun. She might make it to the bigger cities but by then I'll find her.

Promise.