XXIII

November's POV

He held my hands. His hands were warm but the look he gave me was so sad it sent chills down my spine. I pity this man. He wants Imani but I don't have Imani.

I want Imani, too.

I want her more now that I know she has a mate and a life and a name. She doesn't exist to me and she already has such a beautiful life. 

The black faded and the blue returned. Lucas came back to me slowly, hand still on my own.

"Lucas," I said in a low, testing voice. I don't know how long he's allowed his wolf to be in control but I know that being under your wolf's control for lengthy periods can make some wolves go rouge.

When a wolf is made a rouge they are sad and alone, kicked out from everything they knew.

When a wolf goes rouge they are terrifying and violent, attacking everything in sight.

He looked down at me with one eyebrow pulled in slightly but not the other. It was a little strange looking but it seemed to be so natural on his face.

 "I'm back," he whispered.

I nodded, not knowing what else to say after I'd spent months running from him.

He took charge.

"You shouldn't have run away like that. My Alpha was going to let you stay, I'm sure of it."

"In case you didn't realize," I gestured to the ropes soaked in aconite tying me to the chair by my waist and legs," I'm not exactly welcome most places. I don't see why you're so interested in keeping me anyway."

"You're my mate," he replied like it was obvious.

"But I can't feel it. I will never love you like you love me. So let me be free."

"That's not true, if my Alpha accepts you then you'll be able to become part of a pack- a real wolf!"

My mind rolled back to a threat issued a long time ago by someone I can't forget. I shivered only once before stopping. Lucas shouldn't see me shaking. He'll never let me leave.

"I don't want to be part of a pack," I lied, "I'm a rouge."

"And I'm an Aries. Who cares?"

I didn't understand the reference.

"I can't stay with you, Lucas. I'm on a mission. I need to go and you have to let my friend come with me."

He chewed on the inside of his cheek for a moment, crossing his arms and pacing around in the room before he turned back to me and pulled out my dagger.

My heart jumped at the sight, whether it be out of joy or fear I don't really think I'll ever know.

He put it down by the hollow of my throat and smiled at me before swiping it quickly down and slicing the ropes near my gut. Next he got down on his knee and cut the ones at my ankles before handing me my dagger back.

"I don't suppose you know where they put your friend- what's her name?"

"Kenna. She's in the next room."

"Alright, let's get her and get on our merry way."

I stopped mid stride to the next room and stared at him. Our?

"What do you mean "our?""

"I mean our. You don't think I'm going to let my mate- rouge or otherwise- go off into the sunset without me, do you? We'll have to take Thomas, too," he unlocked the door and went in to the place that Sophia was sat in a chair just like I was, only her hands were restrained as well and she was cringing in pain," My Alpha has sent him to watch over me and keep me safe. You remember Thomas, don't you? You hit him in a very unfortunate place last time you saw him."

He kept talking but my mind was reeling. I had to think of a way to lose him and from the look on Sophia's face I'd say I better think of it fast. He turned back to grin at me.

He wasn't going to let me go anywhere.

__

After Sophia and I were properly introduced to the Alpha of this territory, he agreed to let us travel safely through his land with no fear of his wolves chasing us to the ends of the world. 

I stared in awe as we were led out the door and allowed to return to Isabella, Ajax, and Carlisle so long as we kept my supposed mate and his lackey who I injured dearly last time we met and now glared at me every time our eyes met.

Sophia also glared at me, but for a different reason.

"I can't believe you let him come with us," she hissed as we began walking towards where we knew our friends would be.

"Let's focus on finding your sister and lover, then you can judge me for having a blond parasite."

She glanced back at them before whispering something about being sure to and starting a light jog off to the north.