➤ 𝐈𝐗

【𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄】

𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

HIMARI, JEAN AND MARCO BROKE looked up when the sound of retching filled the air. Himari screwed up her nose slightly at the sight of Daz throwing up everything he had eaten for breakfast, onto the pavement in front of him. Krista stood behind him with a prominent frown on her face as she patted his back gently, in an attempt to calm the poor boy.

Almost as though it were a reflex, Himari glanced around, searching for Mina. The bright girl always found herself gravitating towards Himari whenever one of their fellow cadets had been sick back in the Corps, knowing that Himari would remove her from the situation before it could trigger her anxiety.

Himari frowned when she remembered that she'd already said goodbye to Mina, who had gone to prepare for the upcoming battle that was mere minutes away from happening. Himari sighed and pulled back from Jean, the previous moment between the three, now very much over.

Himari looked away as Daz retched again and chose to turn her attention towards the rest of the soldiers that surrounded her. Most of them stuck together with their own friends, in the hopes of holding onto that familiarity and comfort that their presence brought them. Many of them were tearful and Himari couldn't blame them. 

Death was gambling with their lives today. Some would live, many would not. Skills didn't matter when it came to standing before a titan - if Himari ended up stuck on the ground with no way out and a titan chasing her, there was nothing she could do but wait for her inevitable death. Everything came down to her luck and whether or not she found herself as one of Death's unlucky chosen ones.

With a heavy sigh, Himari stood up and stepped back as she began to check over her gear. She tightened all of the straps on her hardness and tested her ODM gear quickly, ensuring there was no chance of it jamming at any point throughout the rest of the day. A quick tap on both of the tanks let her know that they were not leaking and retaining all the gas they had inside them.

Jean watched with gritted teeth as Himari pulled out each of her blades, ensuring that the edges of them were sharp. The sight of her checking her blades and her gear alone had him furious. This shouldn't have happened again and he knew it. The situation they all found themselves stuck in was bullshit. Most of all, the timing of the Colossal Titan was terrible.

He was one of the few people who Himari had truly allowed to see just how hard it was for her to come to terms with what had happened all those years ago in Shiganshina. Just when she believed that she was in a place where she could make friends and not have to worry about their lives, the Colossal Titan had to appear once more and wipe away all the progress that she had made. Her life was in danger. His life was in danger. Marco's life was in danger. They were all in danger.

And yet, despite all the terror that showed so clearly on Himari, there seemed to be some kind of sick acceptance that had finally joined it. Acceptance that not everyone she had learned to care about was going to make it through the day alive. She couldn't fight fate. She couldn't save everyone, no matter how hard she tried. No matter how much the guilt kept her up at night, no matter how much it made her sick to her stomach. Her friends were going to die today.