➤ 𝐈𝐈

【𝐓𝐖𝐎】

𝐓𝐖𝐎

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

THE SCREAMS THAT FOLLOWED WERE ONES HIMARI knew she'd never forget. The gut-wrenching cries, the begs, the pleads of 'get up! Come on, get up!' or 'open your eyes!' They made her stomach lurch uncomfortably and a dizzying wave of nausea washed over her. She couldn't drag her eyes away from the crimson splatter that had once been the kind, furry companion that often snuggled up to her on the coldest winter nights for body warmth, or lay curled up on her father's bed when it was raining to keep him company. 

Himari's head shot up, panic caused her eyes to widen even further at the thought. Her father. While the citizens of Shiganshina fled to wherever the titans that were pouring in, weren't, Himari realised that her father didn't have that same luxury. He had been bedridden for years, hardly able to get up and go to the bathroom to wash himself without needing help to get up. 

Panic caused her lungs to constrict painfully and a shaky breath escaped her lips as she scrambled up onto her feet. A giant, dark shadow blocked out the sun that now seemed too bright, too cheerful to match the ominous mood that now covered Shiganshina like a weighted blanket. She looked up, her mouth going dry when she saw a titan - a proper titan, leering down at her. 

Her feet moved before she could even comprehend what was happening. Himari stumbled backwards, unable to tear her pupils away from the giant titan that was at least fifteen times her height and was staring down at her hungrily. When it reached an arm out, what she felt to be static spread throughout her body, kicking her nervous system into overdrive. She turned and broke into a sprint, not caring who she shoved out of her way in an effort to lose the titan that had looked down on her, as though she were the vermin and they were the innocent. 

But they were far from it. Himari had to press a hand to her mouth as she ran, suppressing the urge to vomit when she saw the first of many citizens become trapped in the fists of one of the vile creatures, their screams and pleads falling on deaf ears as the titans raised the poor, unlucky human to their wide, waiting mouths. She could hear the sound of bones crunching from all the way down on the ground and she rose an arm to cover her head as scarlet raindrops dyed her pale hair a portentous shade of pink.

She didn't stop, however, her legs moving even faster than they ever had before as she weaved her way in and out of the horror-filled city in an effort to find her Dad. While her house had not been as close to the initial blast as many others were, the most stubborn of rocks had managed to fly far enough in that direction to cause alarm bells to ring in Himari's head. If the rocks hadn't crushed her house, she was certain that the foot of one of the hundreds of titans that were flooding into the walls, would. 

The giant creatures horrified her. She had heard about them in Selma's letters, pictured them in her minds, but nothing could have prepared her for the sight that greeted her own eyes. They were inhumanely tall and incredibly grotesque-looking, but Himari certainly had expected them to look so human. The eyes of the beasts scared her the most.