Velma x reader (Guy's side) Chapter 6: Meeting Mr. Elmer Uggins

(Y/N) POV:

After getting ready, and leaving the country club, we followed Velma's directions on where to find Mr. Elmer Uggins, the keeper of an old lighthouse. Well, not all of us exactly. After what happened at the party, Scooby chickened out and was too scared to leave his room, afraid of the Lake Monster coming to get him. To ease his mind, (F/A/N) stayed behind, just in case he needed someone to reassure him.

"Heh. Would you look at that," Fred says as he parks the van. "Our first suspect just happens to be the keeper of a creepy old lighthouse."

"What else is new?" I ask as we all get out of the van, recalling that this isn't the first time that we've had to deal with a creepy lighthouse keeper as a suspect during the mysteries we've solved.

"You know, just once, I wish we found a mystery that started in a cheery futon showroom," Shaggy says.

We all turn to him, having no clue as to what he's talking about, and possibly wondering what made him think that all of a sudden.

"What? Futons offer far more support than traditional mattresses," Shaggy states.

We all shake our heads or roll our eyes at him for being so silly, as usual. When we reach the door, Fred pushes the button to the doorbell, which makes the sound of a foghorn, to let Mr. Uggins know of our arrival. When that doesn't work, Fred knocks on the door a couple of times, before trying to open the door, only to learn that it's locked, and then knocks on the door again. We wait for a moment or two, learning that Mr. Uggins is either ignoring us, or isn't home.

This is getting ridiculous.

I let out a sigh. "Just our luck, isn't it?"

Daphne nods her head in agreement. "The light's on, but nobody's home," she says.

"Isn't this the part when we normally split up and search for clues?" Shaggy quickly asks, doing the thing that Fred usually does. "I'll go with Velma. Ha," with that said, he grabs Velma's hand and walks away, leaving me alone with Fred and Daphne. "Come on. It'll be fun."

"You know? I think I'll go with them," I say to Fred and Daphne, trying not to let my jealousy show. I then rush after Shaggy and Velma, trying to catch up with them. "Hey, Velma, Shaggy, wait up!"

"Oh, (Y/N). You're coming with us?" Velma asks.

I nod my head. "Yeah, just to make it easier to find some clues or something."

Just to make it easier to find some clues or something? Man, I'm an idiot.

I know it's a lame excuse. But if I want Velma to notice me, I had to at least come up with something to make it happen, right? While walking together, Shaggy starts sniffing the air for some reason.

"Oh, Velma, what is that sweet fragrance you're wearing?" he asks.

"Bug and tick repellent," Velma simply answers.

"Well, it certainly isn't repelling me," Shaggy says, before smacking himself on the head, while Velma's not looking.

I roll my eyes at him, then walk next to Velma, smiling at her. "It sure is a lovely night, huh? We don't get stuff like that so often when solving mysteries."

"Like, yeah!" Shaggy exclaims, butting in by getting between me and Velma, literally. He walked up to us, making sure he stood in the middle. "I've always enjoyed strolling beneath a full moon. Werewolves notwithstanding of course."

"I too enjoy walking by the light of the silvery moon," Velma says before laughing, causing me to laugh with her, knowing the meaning behind that joke.

Even Shaggy laughs a little at Velma's joke. "Yeah, that's a good one...Wait, where's the funny?"

"Oh. "By the Light of the Silvery Moon"?" Velma asks.

Shaggy nods his head. "Yeah."

"It's just an old vaudevillian ditty. But I must confess, I do have a soft spot for it," she admits.

"Like, wait, I think I do know that one," Shaggy says, going into a dream-like state.

"That's because you've heard me play it on my radio back home," I point out, trying to keep my emotions under control.

"Really? Are you fan of that stuff?" Velma asks, her attention on me.

I shake my head. "No, but my parents liked listening to it. I don't remember a lot since I was a little kid back then. But I do remember them playing that song sometimes," I explain truthfully, remembering whatever I could about my parents. "I think they mentioned that "By the Light of the Silvery Moon" is the song they danced to on their first date. So, I guess you can say that listening to that song makes me thing of them sometimes."

Knowing full well of what happened to my parents, Velma gives me a look, feeling sorry for me. "Sorry," she says.

I shrug my shoulders. "It's okay. It was a long time ago. I'm used to it."

Before any of us could say anything more, the light from the lighthouse flashes in our direction. And I could've been wrong, but I thought I had just seen the Lake Monster. Apparently, I'm not the only one who thought that.

"Um, (N/N), Velma, that wasn't what I thought it was, was it?" Shaggy asks.

"I don't know," I say, hoping I didn't see what I think I just saw.

"Did you surmise that it was a heretofore unclassified amphibious humanoid?" Velma asks.

"No. I thought it was a..." Shaggy tries to say. Once the lighthouse's beam of light shines in our direction again, this time, we get a better look at what's in the shadows. "Lake Monster! Zoinks!"

"Run!" I yell, grabbing Velma's hand and then making a run for it, with Shaggy right behind us.

Fred and Daphne must've heard our screams, because they come running in our direction.

"Go, go, go!" Velma exclaims.

"It's the Lake Monster! Save me!" Shaggy screams, him, Velma and me getting behind Fred and Daphne.

Just as at it looks like the Lake Monster's about to attack us, it...trips?

"Ow! My ankle," the Lake Monster says in pain.

"What?" Fred asks, all of us confused.

While the rest of us stand back, Fred runs up to the monster, and takes off the mask, revealing an old man.

"Mr. Uggins, I presume?" Fred asks, helping the said old man get back on his feet.

"Call me Elmer," says the old lighthouse keeper. He then waves his hand in our direction. "Hi, kids,"

Not sure what else to do, we wave back.

Well, this sure has been an interesting night.

Author's note: So, as you can see, this chapter's shorter than the rest. Sorry, being sick and all that, my head's been really out of it, I've been having a hard time focusing, and I didn't know how to make it longer. But hopefully you've all enjoyed it.