Chapter 49

Because they were in an emergency situation, Lady Phenex had decided to transport them directly to the battlefield with teleportation magic—something that normally was not allowed within the Underworld unless you were a noble, one of the Four Great Satans, or had special permission. It was apparently a strictly regulated power, which explained why they traveled via train whenever they were in the Underworld.

A large magic circle had been drawn onto the stone floor of an unused room. It was complex, but Naruto was growing used to seeing such complicated circles. Rossweisse had been teaching him a lot, and Le Fay had taught him even more.

He, Koneko, Le Fay Pendragon, and Ravel were standing in the middle of this magic circle. Lady and Lord Phenex were standing outside of it along with Ravel's oldest brother, Ruval.

"It looks like the Chaos Brigade is launching an attack on several cities at once," Lady Phenex said to them. "Rias Gremory and the other members of her peerage have already been mobilized and are defending one of the cities in the Sitri territory. We have been requested to mobilize our forces and travel toward the Agares territory. There are currently a number of our forces already there, and they are doing what they can to evacuate the citizens, but evacuations take time. Your jobs will be to help defend the citizens until the evacuation is complete." Her expression grave, Lady Phenex looked at Ravel. "Please take care of yourself. If you get overwhelmed, do not hesitate to retreat."

"Do not worry, Mother," Ravel said. "We will be fine. I am with Koneko and Naruto-sama."

"I'm also here," Le Fay said with a huff. "Did you forget about me?"

"I have not forgotten about you," Ravel assured. "It's just that we haven't had a chance to really join forces before."

Le Fay didn't look like she'd been placated, but Naruto placed a hand on her head.

"In that case, I won't say anymore," Lady Phenex said. "We're teleporting you now."

Naruto was pretty used to teleportation magic these days, so he didn't bat an eye when the magic circle began glowing seconds before the world around them suddenly changed. Almost immediately after teleporting, the screams and cries from panicking and pained civilians reached his ears. The scent of fire and blood filled the air. Koneko wrinkled her nose. Ravel had to cover her mouth and nose with her hand.

Explosions rocked Naruto's ear drums. When he looked around, he saw several fires burning further away, buildings exploding as magic struck them, and many figures flying through the sky as they clashed. He recognized both forces. The ones fighting were the soldiers under Lord Phenex's command, recognizable by the blazing armor they wore, which looked like crystalized flames, and members of the Old Satan Faction from the Chaos Brigade.

"It looks like the Chaos Brigade is going all out," Le Fay said as she looked at something in the sky. "They've even come with Niðhöggr."

Naruto, Ravel, and Koneko looked up to find out what Le Fay meant, and that was when they saw it—the dragon. Its black scales were so dark it felt like all light that came near it would be devoured. Only his underbelly was a different color, being khaki. While his appearance was very serpentine, he had four limbs and four large wings, which he flapped to create powerful gusts that knocked multiple devils away. Naruto didn't know how big he was, but this dragon was quite large.

"What can you tell me about Niðhöggr?" asked Naruto.

"Not much." Le Fay shook her head. "Team Vali was not made privy to anything regarding the revival of Evil Dragons, so I don't know anything more than legend. Niðhöggr was a dragon whose greed was so insatiable that he even gnawed on a root of the world tree, Yggdrasil. His name means Malice Striker. The term Nið is a social stigma implying the loss of honor and the status of a villain in old viking society."