Conventions of LOve

"Also, just in case some kind of post apocalyptic emergency comes along, I've bought you all cellphones. My number is already keyed in on speed dial, so don't be afraid to give us a call, okay?"

"Don't worry, Naruto-san," Irina said with a smile and good cheer. "We've got everything under control here."

"Yes. Worry not, Ninja-sama. I shall protect your home, even if it costs me my life." Metatron gave Naruto a thumbs up and flashed his pearly whites. Naruto could have sworn the archangel's teeth made a pinging sound.

"I'm counting on you two—eh?" Naruto looked down to see Ophis staring up at him. She was grabbing at his shirt and tugging. "What's wrong, Ophis?"

"You should stay," Ophis said with a serious tone in her voice.

"Aww! Are you gonna miss me?" Naruto scratched Ophis behind the ears. The dragon goddess of unlimited power became putty in his hands. "I'm sorry, Ophis, but Rias and I have planned this for nearly two weeks, and she's really looking forward to it."

Rias had been ecstatic when she'd heard about the anime convention that would be happening in Akihabara. Ever since then, she'd made plans to go there, buying tickets, buying cosplay, planning out their itinerary. There was no way he could deny her this chance to go when she was looking forward to it this much.

Ophis's expression didn't change, but he got the feeling that she was disappointed. "Fine... but when you come back, you're going to take me out somewhere."

"Sure," Naruto said without really thinking about it. "I'll take you somewhere."

Rias rolled her eyes but smiled. "Do you ever think before you speak?" When Naruto just looked at her in confusion, she leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "It's nothing."

Naruto frowned at Rias, but shook his head and dispelled his confusion. He turned back to the others and thought about any other last minute instructions he should give. Rias had already informed them of how everything in the house worked, so he didn't think there was anything more to say. As he looked at the four other people standing in the room with him and Rias, a flash of pain struck him.

"Ravel is still locked up in her room?" he asked.

Yesterday after school, Naruto and Rias had arrived home from doing some work that Srizechs had foisted on them to discover that Ravel had locked herself in her room. Naruto had tried to get her to come out. She'd told him to leave her alone. Then he'd tried to enter her room.

She'd lit his head on fire.

Naruto didn't know what was wrong with Ravel, but his inability to help her was eating away at him.

"Don't worry, Naruto," Koneko said. "I'll talk some sense into her."

Naruto reached up and gently scratched Koneko's ears. The white-haired nekousho purred and leaned into his hand.

"Thank you," he said.

Soon after, Naruto and Rias left the house, several bags filled with cosplay outfits in their hands. A taxi sat outside on the driveway, waiting for them. As he opened the door for Rias to enter, he unbiddingly found himself staring at their large home.

"Naruto, are you okay?" Rias asked, reaching out to grab his hand.

"Yes." Naruto took a deep breath and smiled, even though he didn't feel like smiling. "I'm fine."

"Hmm..."

Rias didn't look convinced, but she didn't say anything else. After closing the door behind her, Naruto climbed in on the other side, sat down, and buckled up. Once he'd done so, Rias scooted over to the middle seat and leaned her head on his shoulder. The taxi then pulled out of the driveway and drove down the street.