A Hero's Not-So-Triumphant Return

Issei didn't think he'd ever been more worried in his life.

He and Akeno had been returning from their patrol of the surrounding area, when a massive explosion rocked Khou Academy. They had seen it, a bright white light that pierced the heavens. They had heard it, the thunderous roar that nearly blew out their eardrums. Issei had seen many things since becoming a devil, but he'd never seen something like this.

"Ise-kun," Akeno shook Issei out of his dumbfounded state. He turned to her, his eyes nearly bulging from their sockets. She mirrored his look. Unlike him, however, she could still act. "We need to go. Now."

Issei took a nearly hyperventilating breath, gathering what wits he could.

"R-right."

Together, the two set off toward Kouh Academy.

~Devil Ninja~

The battle of Khou Academy had started. Despite the Fallen Angels surprise attack, the defenders were quick to rally. Pairing up, the groups moved to their designated choke points and prepared themselves.

They may have been caught with their pants down, but that didn't mean they would allow themselves to be defeated here.

~Devil Ninja~

They flew in on wings of black. Like a horde of vengeful demons they invaded the academy. Walls were blown to bits. What remained of the roof collapsed, perforated by dozens of light spears as the Fallen Angels entered the academy building.

It was only a token force that entered the academy itself, a group sent to scout for survivors, but that meant little when those involved didn't care about what happened to the structure.

One of these many groups wandered down a hallway on the second floor. While much of the third floor had been destroyed, the second remained mostly intact. They searched the halls, peered into rooms, all in an effort to locate their enemies.

And they found one.

He stood alone. His stance was polite, almost, as if he was not about to confront several Fallen Angels belonging to the group who'd just destroyed much of his school.

"Hello." He bowed politely. "I apologize in advance if this seems rude, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

The Fallen Angels looked at each other, their incredulous gazes mirroring each of their brethren. Was this guy serious? Did he really think they would leave because he'd asked them to? Preposterous.

They charged at the lone figure, who sighed, as if saddened by this situation devolving into one that needed to be solved with violence.

"Oh well. Can't say I didn't try."

Two blades appeared in his hands. One was jagged. Worn. Its bladed edge serrated and vicious. The other presented an unusual contrast. It was double-edged. Red symbols of power traced the inside. Arcane words of a long dead language meandered across the polished surface. The dark steel appeared to be that of a demon sword, and it certainly gave off the feel of demonic energy. However, the demonic energy was strange, diluted. Mixed. Holy energy was present as well, and its radiant light caused the Fallen Angels to hesitate, if only for a second.

A second was all he needed.

In a burst of speed, Kiba disappeared. His form blurred before the Fallen Angels, a mere streak that they had no hope of keeping up with. And then he was in their midst, his blades flashing out, biting into flesh. The Fallen screamed as they were sliced apart by the two blades, more different than night and day.