7. The Fake Bride, Fake Vows

Start from the beginning

I had never thought that I would meet with that man again like this – as his fake bride. Life can be so funny sometimes. He was looking more handsome, more polished then that day at the club. He was in three piece suit; white smooth, cotton shirt, black coffee skinny pants and burgundy slim fit blazer. His face's fresh skin was gleaming under the bright lights. The masculine jawline looked sharper and firm. The color of his lips was rosy pink. His dark hair looked glossy.

I turned straight to avoid his penetrating gaze, facing the crowd. I felt his presence beside me that made my heart lurched in my chest. He was extra ordinarily tall for my 5'5 ft. height. Since Samara was taller than me she advised me to wear heels to save myself from people's suspicions.

"Sorry. I couldn't take your calls. I was busy with some work at office." He leaned down and whispered in my ear, giving me chills.

Office? Who works at office on his own wedding day?

"But, why have you put that veil? I can't see your face." He continued, "Is this one of your ways to punish me for ignoring your calls? I can't see whether you're angry or not."

I remembered Samara saying that she was trying to tell Ashar about her emergency, but, he didn't answer her calls. If he would have just listened to what Samara wanted to say, then I wouldn't have to be here. He himself devastated his own special day and made myself a victim too.

That's what happens when you ignore your soon-to-be wife's calls on your wedding day. She could run away from her own wedding and put some other girl at her place. I restrained myself from saying that to him.

A happy smile was lingering on his mouth. He looked happy and relaxed, completely oblivious about what was happening to him. This man didn't even know my name and I can bet he didn't even remember our first encounter. So for him, I was a complete stranger.

The officiant started reciting the verses of the Bible loudly, silencing the whole crowd. Ashar also moved back. I sighed in relief. The officiant's voice echoed around the whole place. All the guests settled down on their seats and were now silently watching the ceremony.

Wandering my gaze around, I tried to locate Samara with a hope that she would've been back by now. But she was not there. My heart started pounding rapidly against my chest wall because I didn't know how I should delay the wedding.

My mind was giving me warnings that Samara would be late tonight. She promised me she would be back in an hour. But an hour had passed already and she was still not here. What more she wanted that I should now take vows on her name?

I could get married to Ashar in next few minutes. The officiant proclaimed aloud, "Since it is your intention to enter into the covenant of Holy Matrimony, join your right hands and declare your consent before God and his Church."

Ashar and I both faced each other. He stepped forward and took my hand in his. My eyes moistened due to the strong fear and panic. "I, Ashar Hobsons take you, to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life."

My whole body winced. He probably would've felt it because he was holding my hand. He just declared me his wife. I guess this was the last day of my life. Maybe my fear, maybe he himself would kill me with his own hands.

Officiant turned towards me, "It's your turn, child. Say your pledge."

Ashar was still holding my hand, tracing his thumb against my skin in slow motion. I tried to loosen my grip on his hand in order to give him the hint that I wanted him to leave it, but he didn't understand instead further squeezed my hand. I felt uneasy.