Twenty Three - "Whenever you're ready..."

Start from the beginning

"Okay." Anya breathed out.

"Over here, come on!" Lyds whispered and lead the two women through another door marked 'end containment area.'

But it seemed Lydia Greystone had made the wrong choice once more because the second they stepped into the next room the door sealed shut behind them and a siren began to blare.

"Shit! Clarke what do we do?"

"I-I don't know." Clarke mumbled frantically and then the floor came apart beneath them.

It felt as if they were falling forever, Lyds could feel her heart beating in her chest, the blood pumping through her veins, and her brain telling her to fight but none of that mattered. Only seconds later, she hit the ground.

"Jesus..." the blonde groaned, rubbing her head, "Are you guys okay?"

It seemed Lydia hadn't realised her landing had been cushioned, the poor girl had had no idea until she pressed her palms flat to the ground and felt the flesh of another's hand touch her own.

"Oh my god! Clarke!"

Frantically the trio climbed from the mine cart, no one knew what to say, all they could do was stare unblinkingly over the grounder bodies. How could people do such a thing? How could Mount Weather be such a nightmare?

"We're out." Clarke was the first to speak, whilst Lyds couldn't even get her breaths out. "Hey! Look, clothes. We need to get changed, we can't cover any ground like this."

The Griffin girl immediately made her way over to the dirt stained clothes littering the ground. They were no doubt from the grounders or those of others who had betrayed the mountain men, the thought alone of wearing dead peoples clothes made Lyds thoughts run haywire.

"I-I can't..." She shook her head, "I won't!"

"Lyds-"

"Warrior." Was all Anya said, and somehow that one simple word gave the freckled girl the courage she needed and just like that she began to change into the discarded clothing.

"Go ahead. I will not leave my people." Anya declared and Clarke's body instantly filled with anger, all the while Lyds wanted to hit her head against the wall.

"Anya listen to me, our people are still inside that place too, but they have guards. They have weapons. Once we get out of here we can find help, we can come back!" Clarke all but pleaded with her

"There is no we."

Lydia wanted to scream, to tell Anya that she should be grateful to them for saving her life even after all of the pain she had caused, but she was stopped short upon hearing whispering in the shadows of the tunnels.

"Reapers!"

And just like that the three girls climbed into a second minecart and played dead.

"I'm scared..." Lyds whispered, more to herself than to her friends but still Anya's bloodied hand pressed to her arm as bodies were piled on top of them and for a brief moment Lydia felt somewhat safe. That was until a reaper began to wheel them away towards the unknown and all of the fear returned at once.

How did they end up here?

After what was an hour of the reaper pushing the mine cart they were finally forced to a stop. Immediately Lyds saw the shadow of two reapers above her and prayed it wouldn't be her body they chose to feast upon, thankfully so for her they picked the grounder woman they'd dumped on-top of her.

The three women lay silently for a moment, finally allowing themselves to breathe before Clarke climbed from the cart and pulled Lyds with her but Anya refused to move. Instead the grounder leader caressed a dying man's face, the profoundest of pain could be seen in her eyes as she stared upon him but it all flooded away and in one moment she'd snapped his neck and climbed from the mine cart.