Twenty - "I loved him, and now he's dead."

"Murphy!"

"Murphy!"

"John? Where are you?"

"Murphy can you hear me?"

It was obvious Lydia Greystone hadn't thought through her plans in saving her best friend. She hadn't thought of a fighting strategy, or a way to escape, she'd only thought to bring a gun and her knife as if those two things would be able to protect her from the onslaught of the grounders. It was almost laughable, Anya and Tristan thought so at least.

The girl trudged further and further into the trees, barely checking her surroundings as she called her friends name. It was a stupid mistake, she was giving herself away just by yelling one word, "Murphy."

"You answer her, and another knife goes in you." Tristan hissed as he held a harsh grip around Murphy's throat, forcing him from uttering a word. He couldn't even save his friend as Anya readied another one of her arrows. Her death seemed inescapable.

"Murphy! If you can hear me-"

All of a sudden as Murphy wrestled Tristan's hand from his throat and readied himself to scream out in wanting, a figure appeared from within the trees, moving as fast as lighting, and they grabbed ahold of the girl whisking her away to safety. There was only one guess who it could be.

"Get off of me! Get off-"

"If you don't lower your voice you're going to get both of us killed." The grounder hissed as he lifted the girl into his arms. "They've been watching you this whole time."

"Lincoln. You're Lincoln." A smile began to paint itself across the girl's face. "You saved me?"

"You tried to save me too, a long time ago." He spoke solemnly

"Lyds!" Murphy screamed in pain, "Run!"

"M-My friend is back there! We have to go back for him-"

"No going back, only forwards."

"I have to help him, please Lincoln!"

"There's no helping your friend, Tristan has him now."

"They'll torture him!"

"That's something our people seem to have in common."

Lyds fell silent at the man's remark. Her mind swirled with thoughts of her best friend laying dead in the woods after she abandoned her rescue mission. It couldn't be possible, she couldn't accept that, after all Murphy was like a cockroach he would only keep coming back.

"I can walk you know."

"Your leg will only slow us down. We have to get back to your camp."

"Where's Octavia? I thought she was supposed to be with you."

"She went back to help her brother, I came to help you."

"Thank you, Lincoln." She whispered

"From here you go alone, if you run, even with your leg, you can make it to your camp."