First Base

KAMILLE

I was having the most fun with Aug and his family. Aug and I had went to Ricky's to pick up the girls Halloween costumes. "What do you wanna be Kamille?" Diamel asked me. I didn't really celebrate Halloween, so I didn't know what to say.

"She's going to be a princess." Aug answered for me. I raised an eyebrow. Never did I imagine my big ass as a princess. "I'm going to be Cleo De Nile from Monster High." Madison flipped her hair. "I wanna be the little mermaid" Amaiya beamed. "You can't be the lil mermaid, you not white an your hair is black, Amaiya." Diamel gave her sister the truth. I smiled. "She can be anything she wants to be. It's Halloween. The only chance you get, to freely be something you're not." I lightly squeezed Amaiya's chin. "Well...now I wanna be a ninja turtle!" Madison said. "Oh hell no. Y'all can't make up ya minds? - then ima choose a costume for all of y'all and they gon be cheap to." Aug said tugging at a plastic mask that was hella ugly. "Stop it." I nudged him. the girls knew he was just playing but soon all of us got our costumes...all but me. "Excuse me , do you have this in a XL?" I looked at the small Princess Tiana dress. "No. we have it in a L. You can try that." The old lady gave me a "you too damn big" look. I sucked my teeth and grabbed the L hoping and praying it would fit me right. Aug bought a simple Mike Myers mask with a huge fake knife, corny ass. The girls switched it up and bought different costumes that weren't so common for girls their age. Amaiya was going to be Velma from Scooby Doo, Madison was going to be Blossom for PowerPuff Girls , and Diamel wanted to be a girly cow. Either way they were going to look adorable.

Aug and I went half on the costumes and he flipped on his hoodie so no one would notice him and we left the store. I decided to go to Walmart to pick up all the candy we would need and I took Amaiya with me since she was the oldest and she always wanted to come places with me."Ooh! I want the Reese's cups! the twix! ooh no no no, the Snickers!" she jumped up and down. "How about we get all of them?" I suggested. She squealed. "I love you, Kamille." She hugged me. "Don't be lovin' me because I'm buying candy, girl. when you say you love somebody, Baby girl, you gotta mean it. you gotta know what it means , too!" I explained. "Uncle Aug told me what it means, just like he told us that he loves yo-" Amaiya froze mid sentence. "Yogurt. Oh look! They on sale- can we get some for uncle Aug?" She asked quickly. She was hiding something. "Sure, but do you really love me?" I asked heading to the dairy section . "Yes , Kamille. I do, I do love you, more than Barbie... And I LOVE Barbie." Amaiya said. " awww, I love you too, baby. So who's my bestfriend?" I looked down at her. "Amaiya Kendell Alsina." She stated her whole name. "That's right." I smiled at her. "Is uncle Aug ever mean to you?" Amaiya asked looking up at me. "Hmmm he can be grumpy sometimes." I said, but in all actuality I wanted to say Hell Yeah . "He's a meany sometimes- Why aint you his girlfriend, Kamille? You make Uncle Aug more happy." She said. "Oh yeah? what makes you say that?" I asked as we waited on line to ring our stuff up. "He laughs alot, and he so cheesy now. Even mommy said you made Uncle Aug a happy young man. Go on a date with my uncle?" Amaiya tugged at my jacket. "I can't Amaiya, that's against the rules. I like your uncle though." I said poking my bottom lip out. "Not the way he likes you- doh!" she quickly covered her mouth. Let's play along and act like we ain't hear lil mama slip up. I knew he was feeling me. But Lordd, I can't do shit about that.

I was taking a shower and washing my hair when I heard the bathroom door open. "Who's that?" I asked with shampoo in my eyes. Shit, I hated that. I got no response. I was struggling with the shampoo in my eyes but heard some movement in the bathroom then the door closed an locked , it could've been someone with headphones in. I went back to fighting with the shampoo. I started to sing. when I was younger I always wanted to be a singer, I just outgrew the fantasy..my voice was still hella lovely. I started to sing one of Aug's songs ... Just to get him off my mind, and focus on the lyrics.