Epilogue

Epilogue

Aonghus’ fingers laced with Sheena’s. Tightening to the point he thought Sheena would complain at the pain he was causing. Yet he could not pull back, not as he watched his brother riding away, never knowing if he would truly ever see him again. Anything could happen in the time it took for him to return, and it sounded as if it would be a long while before that would happen. Sniffling a little, he was man enough to admit that his throat was clogging a little, but never would he admit to the water in his eyes being tears, no it was the wind as it was a little cutting this day. There was nothing more he could do, but as he watched the retreating back of his younger brother disappear into the forest line, he had to take a deep shuddering breath, and knew when he released it nothing that happened afterwards would ever be as it had been again.

If…no, when, Artair returned, he would be different. They had spent the majority of their lives together, sharing the same experiences, getting into the same scrapes, and taking the same punishments. Now, he had Sheena. Had spent some time with her away from Artair, and it was the longest time they had ever spent apart. Now…now it could be years before Artair returned. In that time he and Sheena would have cemented their relationship, having the tiny unspoken conversations that he saw pass between his friends and their wives.

His breath gusted out as he could no longer hold it, and he knew Artair would return a different man. One that he would recognise anywhere, but one changed by his experience, and Aonghus was glad for it. He had come to slowly realise as he had seen Artair pack and jest with Kendrick, that Artair had always really been in Aonghus’ shadow, and while he never meant for it to happen, he was glad Artair never resented him for it…or never let him see any resentment. But he had a chance now. A chance to be the male he could be on his own. No matter how much they would miss him, or he missed them.

No, he and Sheena would be their own family, and while Sheena may never carry their own bairn, the little laddie currently hanging onto his leg was all they needed. It gave Sheena a bairn to mother, a little laddie for him to teach how to be a man, and have Sheena scold him over certain things he could teach…but only when he was much older. And it gave Scottie a loving home. Something he had never known, and while he struggled with many aspects of life most took for granted, he knew that inside their little cottage he could be whoever he needed to be, and if that meant Scottie spent an evening just watching the crackling flames because he could not look away. Or even threw a thunder storm of a tantrum over being unable to get out the right words, or having heard something from another bairn. He knew he was safe, and wanted by two people who could not let him go now even if he wanted to.

Well, could not let him go for anyone, except Catriona. The tiny bairn was a force of nature for sure, and her attachment to Artair had disappeared over night, much to his brother’s amusement and Aonghus knew a little bit of disappointment, Catriona had attached herself firmly to Scottie’s side at any given opportunity. The fact being she only now was nowhere near them because she had fallen in a muddy puddle running after one of the hounds as it tried to bound after the horses. Scottie on the other hand had stayed at his side and watched with his puzzled brow furrowed, because, Aonghus knew, he was trying to understand why Catriona was doing what she was doing, and why it made her smile. Then frown and cry out as Aislinn had dragged her off with a frown of her own on her face.

Emotions were hard for Scottie to understand fully. But he saw through the emotion to the centre of the matter and knew that Scottie had an intelligence most would love to have or thought they had but few truly showed. He would go far when he was older, accomplish much, he and Sheena would make sure he never held back. But until then they were there to look after him. In his small kilt, he was already part of the clan. Causing a smile to crack over his face even as his brother rode away into an unknown future, because beside him right now was his future, and he could only hope and pray his brother found half of what he had, and maybe have half the less trouble until it was secure in his grasp.

Sheena look after Artair as he disappeared into the tree line, then turned her full attention on her husband of a week. She had counted each and every hour since the time the priest had declared them married before his entire clan, and the joy had been overbearing, but she could have wanted for nothing that day. She still had a long way to go before she was back to herself fully, even now she was beginning to tire. Leaning more fully against his arm as he tightened his fingers against hers. Looking up at his ruggedly handsome face, she could not believe how lucky she was. Able to say that he was hers and that she belonged to him.

Rubbing her forehead against the edge of his shoulder. She felt him move beside her, and released her hand. Wrapping his hand now around her waist. Pulling her snuggly against his side. Her smile could not be dampened, even as her eyes began to droop. Snapping open again at the swift movement as Aonghus caught her up in his arms and calling Scottie they made their way down the path from the Keep to the village where their little cottage had become their safe haven in the sea of interfering but most loving MacKay’s.

Snuggling against his chest, she looked up. “I love you Aonghus MacKay, I do not know how you ended up in my life, or what I did to deserve it, but I will never forget your face the day you realised I was a female, and could fight.” The shine in his eyes was obvious pride, with a gleam of wickedness rising quickly to the surface. All he said, after a glance at Scottie was, “I love you.” But his eyes spoke volumes of the other deeds he wished to speak of, and the night he would have planned. Once Scottie was asleep of course.