Chapter 35

AN - I have INTERNET!!!! so enjoy! Az x

Chapter 35

A party was to be sent out immediately, Iain wanting to go straight back out, but Cam had told him in no uncertain term that he was to stay. As he looked as if he would drop down asleep at any point, he must have pushed his men hard to get back to MacKay land so quickly. The one person Cam could not stop coming with them was Artair. The male had been quieter than usual since his twins mission had separated, but, the utter stillness with which he stood by his horse, waiting, was disconcerting. It was as if he were a living statue carved from the very highland and nothing but the passage of time could move him. It was how Artair had always been, a bundle of nervous energy, the liveliest of the group when they had been bairns. But when something happened with utter seriousness happened, Artair became the unmoveable mountain, the only one who could reach him was Aonghus, and until Aonghus did or the event was over Artair was the most dangerous of them all.

Taking a deep breath as he surveyed the bailey and the flurry of activity. Hamish had taken aside Feandan and question the poor lad until he was a quivering wreck. Cam could not stop the half smile that crept onto his face, as he thought of how lucky a Laird he was to have such a power behind him. Hamish, Aonghus and Artair would never betray him, that he knew in his bones, but each individually could run the clan if need be. Together they had all the elements to make the MacKay’s one of the most affluent clans in the highlands once more. But for that to happen, Aonghus had to be found.

A glance back at Artair, and Cam’s heart squeezed in sympathy. It was like looking at something and knowing that a piece of it was missing, though not how or why. He was part of a pair, and that dynamic was changing. Aonghus would never let Artair feel that he was not important, but Cam had a feeling Aonghus now had something else to focus on, and that Cam understood. Looking behind him and seeing Aislinn holding his son and heir upon her hip as she ordered some maids to distribute the victuals evenly amongst the gathered riders.

He knew Aonghus had found…not exactly his other half as they had jested for years that he and Artair were two halves of the same. But he had found the one who made him whole. Cam knew that, did not question it, for his Aislinn had told him so. And he would be an utter fool to not believe anything she said. He just had to find them alive now. Heaving out a breath, he knew from Aislinn’s dreams that that may be the one thing he could not find. The dreams were coming more and more frequently to her, and he worried that Aislinn’s health was suffering, as much as she looked bright and alert, he could see the shadows in her eyes. If he found Aonghus, Sheena and Boyd alive, then he was risking bringing the event of such foreboding to his doors. Yet, looking out over his men, he knew that not only was he willing to risk such a thing for them all to be stronger together, but each and every male before him would agree, or even suggest it.

He felt the pride over flow within him, he had never actually wanted to take on the mantle of Laird. But somehow, he had managed not to mess it up and started to make the clan prosper. The small hands clutching at his warm woollen socks above his boots had him smiling down at the curls which turned more golden brown than golden sunshine each and every day. His bairn was growing and he was not sure he could take it. Remembering her the day she was born, as she had been placed in his arms and he had been so afraid to hurt her he had held her as if she were the finest jewel in the land. He almost laughed at himself, knowing how hardy and robust his girl was. “Papa, where are you going?” Her eyes were alight with adventure, and her voice was not the forlorn weepy voice he had ever expected of a daughter, the tone that Larena had often used when anyone went anywhere. Catriona looked upon him wishing to join in, not to be the centre of attention as everyone left, but because she wanted to jump on the back of a horse and join in the fun.