Chapter 1

Chapter 1

                Aonghus looked out over the mountains that surrounded MacKay land. The snow around them turning grey with the sludge kicked up by his horse’s hooves. He had volunteered for this route, needed to get out of the Keep after one of the worst winters in years. The entire time he had been cooped up in the Keep or in the cottage he shared with his brother had him climbing the walls. He was been driven crazy by the inactivity. He knew Artair was just the same, and the two of them had come to blows many a time over this last winter. Artair volunteering for the opposite guard route, as soon as they could get the horse’s out safely.

                The entire clan had been wary of them. Usually seen as the jokers of the clan, always a smile on their faces and a laugh to be had. But neither had been in high moods since being called back for the winter. A rivalry had always been between them. Too many people saw them as the same, did not realise what it did to them when others did not care when they mixed them up. So they competed with each other constantly, trying to prove how different they are, but it did not matter to anyone but those closest to them. But over the winter they had been in a competition that could have no conclusion at that moment, as the object of their competition had spent the winter in another clan.

                With a sigh, he looked out over the vista before him, before nudging his horse forward into a canter. Taking the paths he knew by memory, the ones only just becoming visible once more, he was vigilant for any trespassers while at the same time trying to take in the freedom of the ride. Slowing once more as they reached a rise, he pulled his stallion to a stop, with a hard slap to the neck as steam rose from the flesh beneath him. The sun almost blinding as it hit the lock. A beauty that he could not see at that very moment. All he saw was the golden hair of the fae he had left behind. He could not believe his luck when they had stumbled upon the stubborn, courageous, and skilled woman. Even for as small as she was, she had a bravery and skill set that belied the package it came in. She took everyone by surprise. And he longed to see her glow with an inner happiness he knew she had not felt when he had last seen her. Her brother having being murdered, he could not blame her.

                The only issue with the infatuation he had over her. Well, two issues really. The first being that she had seemed not to notice him at all. As much as he had tried to put himself in her path, help her with anything, compliment her and even ask for her held every so often. She had seemed to look through him rather than at him. He could change that, though, his ego and confidence would allow nothing else. No, the main issue which had arisen, was the fact that Artair had developed the exact same infatuation.

                Shaking his head, he closed his eyes and threw his head back. Not knowing how any of this would work out. He and his brother had fought before, but this seemed deeper, as if whoever won this fight, could end up losing the other brother. And the one that lost, would lose twice. It seemed an insurmountable mountain, and one he was unlikely to ever have to climb. The likelihood that he would ever see Sheena again was extremely low, but his heart ached as he realised that knowledge. And would not the ladies of the clan be astonished to hear such a thing from him. He was sought out by many of the women in the clan, as was Artair. Not that many of the women seemed to know the difference between them, and that was the novelty for them. He was only slightly ashamed to say that he took advantage of that fact.