Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Boyd sat beside him as they both stared in hope and wonder at the growing rent within the canvas before them. Both sat with bated breath, awaiting a large enough rent from which to escape from. It was then, as they thought such that a small head poked through. Such a shock was it that neither noticed as it withdrew and a ripping occurred, rending the air with its sound. At that moment, on the other side of the tent, the male standing guard cursed, covering the sound of the rent. “Oh, ye Bastard, get back here you little runt.” A sound of running footsteps as they faded from the tent, did not hold their attention as a cheeky grinning face of a sly little face stuck her head through the gap this time, and brandished a small dagger before her as if it were the greatest treasure they could behold.

But she was wrong, as Aonghus sat that as she sawed through the rope at his wrists. She was the greatest treasure this earth beheld, and she did not even know it…or want that position, but his heart knew it and would not let it be denied. “Can you move quickly? Or do you need time?” Her voice was sweet and urgent. He gritted his teeth and glanced at Boyd who nodded his consent for Aonghus to speak for him. “It does not matter if we can move quickly, we will move as quick as is needed to flee this place.” The pride that shone in her eyes would be his undoing, she knew not what she did to him.

Gritting his teeth against the pain he followed on painful limbs as she crawled beneath the rent canvas. Both of them pausing and grinning behind them as they watched Boyd and his large form try and fit through the rent. Sheena’s lips touched his ear and her warm breath made him shiver. “I do not think I took into account the size of him…” He had to bite his lip to keep from a retort, of either laughter of spoken, as Boyd was right then struggling with pain as well as his size. But the sight would be one of those to look back on in tales for a cold winter night in the main hall of the MacKay Keep, and all would make light of it. Even Boyd.

As he brought his eyes back to the beauty who glowed in the darkness, the beacon he would always travel towards, he noticed the tiny furrow marring her skin as she frowned in his direction. Her hand coming slowly up to gently cup his cheek and he closed his eyes at the action. Allowing them to drift shut as he left himself feel the softness of her palm against his whiskered cheek. It was only when her thumb travelled over his lips he realised why she frowned so. Puckering his lips against her thumb in a teasing kiss, he kept his eyes closed as he answered her unspoken question. “I am afraid, My Lady, you caught me unawares. I did not have time to freshen up for you. I do hope you accept my deepest apologies for looking so in your presence.” His eyes opened a slit to look upon her, her brow was still furrowed but a glint had returned to her eye he had not seen since he went down from his horse.

She sniffed disdainfully, though her eyes danced. “Nay, My Lord. I do believe I cannot forgive such disgraceful apparel upon my appearance. However, it is not you I fault but a certain male of both our acquaintance.” The look she sent him was powerful, and promised full retribution for the hurts he had received. He wanted to laugh and pull her into his embrace. But knew that he could not, for the moment he did he would not let go, and here, right now, was not the place to perform such an action. Even if she was a willing participant.