Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Everything was quiet. But it was not a peaceful quiet, full of serenity where one could find themselves in their own mind, and just sit a while and watch as the world around them reflected the light from above and cast multihued shadows upon the ground. No. This quiet hinted at a danger. Something was out there that should not be, and it was not the two who trudged their way quietly and carefully through the thick undergrowth. Aonghus was alert immediately. All morn they had rode in companionable silence. Making a comment every now and them, but knowing no words were needed. He had listened to the breathing of the horses as the tails swished and the earth was churned beneath their hooves. Only for him to become aware that the other life within the forest, the background noise which had not been noticeable until it disappeared…had stopped.

Holding up a hand in a silent gesture to stop, all he heard was the soft snort of her mare as she did as he gestured, and he had to quirk his lips at the fact she did not utter a word in protest. Though he knew she was well versed in the ways of war. She may not have faced down a foe upon a true battle field, the heat of the bodies and the smell of the sweat and fear were absent from her memories. However, she had spent many a day training with her clansmen when he had stayed with her clan before the winter snows had fallen. He had seen her abilities, and knew she was the main hunter for the clan before her banishment. All of this added together meant that he knew she was versed in the ways he needed her to be at that moment, and knowing he was the more experienced warrior, she was deferring the position of power to him.

His quirked lips merged to a full smile as he knew that she had chosen to let him lead at this moment. It was not something he should take for granted, and he felt suspiciously like he was being tested. Weighed to see if he was a man of worth or not. If he failed this, he was at risk of losing more than he could ever live through.

His mind whirled, and he knew they had to move. He would not let him and Sheena become sitting ducks, awaiting their demise. He knew better than that. He knew they were out there, and needed to be on a better footing with their surroundings. When he had chosen the ambush site, then he could await them, the boot being on the other foot. With a flick of his fingers, he did not turn to see her reaction, but knew she at least understood in part as he could hear the hooves of her mare clashing with his stallions, and the rush of the wind as the branches waved with the strength of it as the moved past at as quick a pace as he dared, while still wanting to be aware of all the sounds around him.

Sheena was wide eyed, her breathing coming quicker than she would wish it too. There was little she could do over her physiological reactions to the situation, but she knew she should be holding herself together better than this. She knew Aonghus would not want someone who would be a hindrance, but if she did cause an issue he would do everything in his power to step in and save her. She watched his wide, tense shoulders as he moved with the rhythm of his horse. Riding in a way she knew meant that he and his mount had been through much together. In that moment she had a flash of him, atop his horse galloping into battle, sword raised high and battle cry on his lips. Face fierce, daring all those opposing him to come at him if they dare.