Chapter 40

Chapter 40

                Sheena just stared in shock, as the rotund woman before her claimed Aonghus had placed a child within her. Aye, she could see Aonghus being one amongst the ladies of the clan, and even doing as this woman has said. But there was something within her that did not believe it. As if denial was the only way for her to survive this whether it was real or not. Her jealousy was also roaming around her mind like a rabid wolf, wanting out and to attack this woman for trying to stake a claim on the male that was hers.

Aonghus was one of the more eligible men in his clan. She knew that logically, he was the Laird’s joint third, and being unmarried made him the perfect man for many mothers to want for their daughters. But he had chosen. He had chosen her, he had said so with his words, actions, and the furtive glances he sent her way. Even in the way he had become jealous over Scott’s arrival to their little group, he thought he had hidden it so well, but she had seen the green monster overcome him in the sullen expression that had settled on his face. All of it had told her he cared, and God dammit, but she cared too.

Her grip tightened on Scottie’s shoulders, and he trembled slightly under her hands. “Bad lady.” Maggie Mai stared down at Scottie, the sneer claiming her face, as she took another step forward. “You and your little backwards rat here, will never be accepted by the MacKay’s, not when they know that I am carrying Aonghus’ bairn and you will be nothing then.” Another sneer down at Scottie. Sheena’s anger bubbling under the surface but if she let it free, not only would the other woman not be breathing by the end of the altercation, but Scottie may be hurt in the small space between them. “Even if the women do take pity on you, and somehow take you in, Aonghus will never be yours again. And that little thing there, no one is going to accept a damaged bastard that goes around biting people and cannot even speak properly.” The utter satisfaction upon Maggie Mai’s face was there less than a second before Sheena let all her instincts take over and pushed Scottie into the corner nearest her, and launched herself with a wild roar at the woman before her.

No matter what Maggie Mai’s condition or even the extra padding she carried, nothing was stopping Sheena at that point, nothing could stop her, and if anyone had heard the words spoken, no one would stop her. Of that she was certain when she was thinking, however, she was not thinking at that point in time, not at all. In fact, she was not entirely sure what happened, except for the fact her fists hurt and she herself had a split lip as she was lifted, still fighting like a wild cat. Maggie Mai, gasping for breath from the hard flag stone ground. Spitting blood onto the floor beside her. The cacophony of noise from the sudden appearance of many bodies in the tiny room, had Sheena calming in body, her mind, however, was still whirling.

It helped that she recognised the solid strength in the arms that held her securely around her waist, a comforting voice whispering in her ear even as she did not yet hear the words clearly, they just joined the noise that was happening around her. Her breathing was heavy and her chest heaving, Aonghus’ arm constricting her as she tried to calm as the tone of his voice suggested, but every time she looked in Maggie Mai’s direction her mind clouded and her anger rose once more. How dare she? What did she know of anything? Wanting to claw the woman’s eyes out as she acted the utter victim to the surrounding crowd. Whimpering and crying, as she sent sly scheming glances at Sheena. Could no one else see what was happening?