Chapter 55

Chapter 55

She would not see him, would not speak to him, no matter what he did or what he planned. He could not break through to her. A month. One full cycle of the moon, and still nothing. Robert and his horde had been allowed to leave with a promise that he would be wiped from the face of the earth if he ever marched against the MacKay’s again. Kendrick had gone on the northern trade route, and would return in a few days and Artair would leave with him for the southern route. He should have left on this one, but refused to leave him in this state it seemed.

Aonghus added guilt over keeping his brother back from what he needed with his problems once more. But he could not help but be grateful, even if his hope was fleeing quickly over anything happening now. As he had barley caught a glimpse of Sheena in days. She had refused him entry for the first week, she locked herself way barely allowing even Aislinn, Isla and Fyfa in to see to her needs. His one solace was that Scottie was almost constantly by her side, to which Aislinn believed he was helping Sheena to overcome the knowledge she had been given.

He had tried to convey he did not care what Nessia thought. He just wanted Sheena. His life seemed dull and lifeless in the time he had spent without her. He knew he could not do much to help her, but he wanted to be there for her, anyway he could. Even if she would just scream and wail upon him, he would take it, if just she would let him see her. When she had ventured forth from the room she had been locked within, it always seemed to be times he was out on guard, or helping within the village. He would return at the word that Sheena had emerged, only to catch barely a glimpse of her golden hair as she disappeared once more from view.

He had not slept. Not been able to eat properly. His exhaustion followed him about like a cloak. Hamish, Cam and Artair were trying to help him gain access to Sheena, helping to send her little things through their women, and Artair had enlisted the help of Isla and Scottie when he ventured forth every now and then. But he had heard not a word from her. It was beyond anything he could ever have imagined. He had broken down finally about an hour before. It was more than he could take.

More than he could live with. With the sunlight burning up the horizon, he had shut himself away in his cottage, and darkened the entire place as much as possible. The sobs racking him, painfully strong. He had given up any hope now. Sheena may survive, but he could not get through to her, and as much as he tried he needed a little time to be selfish and weak, just for a short time. Then he would rally once more, and try for a final glorifying finale, to try and win her back once and for all. If it failed. He would not be able to say what he would do, but he knew the rest of his life would be empty and cold, Sheena having taken all the light and joy with her as her own pain consumed her too.

The creak of the door told him his humiliating descent was complete. Artair would catch him at his lowest point and while he would try to build him back up, Aonghus wanted to wallow a little in his misery so that he could get rid of the negative energy within him before his final push started with a frenzy he could not afford to lose. Not looking to where the crack of light from the door pierced through the darkness and stung his eyes, he buried his face into the nest of blankets he had created and groaned. Wishing his brother would just let him alone. Come back when he was fit to be seen.