Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Just when he thought all was lost. That at least he would go down as a warrior, swinging his sword as his ancestors had before him. Boyd had taken more hits and was slowing quickly, making Aonghus step forward more, putting himself in the direct line of fire from the horde before them. Boyd then taking on the ones on the outer edge. Aonghus taking on the better and more experienced fighters. A sword pierced his side, and with a roar which would rival any war cry, he went mad, a red haze coming over him. He did not think he was making all the noise, but the cry he let loose, was taken up, and while he did not immediately recognise it, or realise it, a horde of warriors from the other direction came charging into the fray.

Boyd sagged with relief and was pulled out, behind the new comers. Aonghus refused to move. As much as those around him shouted for him to move, as much as he felt the tugs and saw others move ahead of him, he had a singled minded focus upon the forces before him. He did not even see who had come to their rescue. It was not until his sword rung against a similar blade to his own. His eyes focusing on ones so similar to his own, it was like looking into the blade at his reflection. Eyes as hard and dark as flint with anger Artair parried and they were at each other, taking out a joint frustration upon each other.

To everyone’s utter shock, Artair was the one to throw Aonghus off balance and send his sword careening off in an unknown direction. “Yield Aonghus. For the sake of God Almighty. Do not make me hurt you, come back. Now.” Finding himself on his back, staring up at his mirror image was not a first, but definitely the first in many a year, as they usually had to concede a draw with each other. Staring at the bloodied tip of his brother’s blade, he knew that he was bested, and as he let himself relax from the fight, and sink back into the muddy ground beneath him. The pain from his wound reverberated through him. Causing a loud gasp as he realised he had been hit, and it may have been worse than he originally thought.

“Are you really foolish enough to try and move with an injury like that? I know you are my brother, but I always thought foolishness was my trait.” Artair stood over him, all the power that Aonghus knew was in his body finely tuned and willing to protect his brother with his life…now he had beaten him into the mud. “Cam, did you bring someone along with the finer healing arts, for my fool of a brother? He somehow managed to get pricked by a sword…I guess this means I am the better swords man.” Aonghus coughed and groaned at the pain piercing his side. “Do not look so smug, oh brother mine, when I am back on my feet once more, I will show you who the better swordsman is.”

Artair just looked at him, the look saying, from the looks of you it will be a long time before that will be possible. It made him frown…just how injured was his. He caught the panic in Artair’s gaze, saw as he flickered it over to where he presumed Cam was. It was a voice which cut through everything, the utter exasperated fury of it washing over him and making him float away from the pain. “Do not dare to tell me what to do. I am telling you right now, I do not care if you are the King himself. You will let me past if you wish the foolish beggar to actually live. Before I kill him myself.” Hamish rough voice came back to him, “And it is the latter part that we worry about. You are angry Sheena, and it is pulsing from you.”