Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Aonghus blinked his eyes open groggily. His head thumped and his mouth felt stuff with wool. Yet before he could do no more than try and gain his surroundings, those around him were already pouncing for his attention. And none were the face or voice he actually wanted to see. Sheena was nowhere in sight. But that did not mean much, he knew she would be tired from…whatever it was she had done. It was just a little disappointing for her not to be here to greet him as he re-entered the world, once again.

“Aonghus, thank the Lord above, you are awake.” Cam’s voice came out gruffly, as if he had had little sleep and was willing to rip off someone’s head in the very near future. Slowly, and a little stupidly all he could do was turn his head towards the voice and blink upon his Laird. “If Douglas spews anymore of the filth he is saying, I may relieve him of his head.” A painful chuckle made its way up his throat, he had thought about that many a time, and here was Cam reiterating his thoughts precisely.

His tongue thick in his mouth and it took him a few tries to speak before someone blessedly thrust a water skin at him and he greedily drank it down, unable to take it in quickly enough for his dusty throat. When he started to cough the diligent hand, who he never saw the body off, quickly took the skin away and he wiped the back of his hand over his mouth. Gasping for breath now he felt nominally better than a few moments before. Leaning up on one elbow, he looked up into a concerned Cam’s face. “What is it you think I can do?”

Exasperated, Cam did a rather good impression of Catriona just before a full blown tantrum erupted from her. “I do not know do I? But if you do not do something about that vile man then I may be forced into something I regret later.” Aonghus did not think Cam was aware of it, but the way the male crossed his arms and his lower lip practically pouted, Aonghus could see exactly where his daughter had gained that trait from. Strange how such things stuck out at such inappropriate times.

“Well, someone could you help me stand?” he raised an eyebrow and Hamish, who stood behind him. His mind wondered one more, it must have been Hamish which had produced the skin of water. He leaned down and pulled Aonghus up with barely a grunt, showing just how powerful a Highlander he was. It would scare him breathless if he ever had to come up against Hamish…for any reason at all. With a blank stare he took in the varying shades of outrage upon the faces before him. “Well, is anyone actually going to tell me what has been said? Or do I have to guess at these vile words you say he spouts?”

Just at that moment, the quiet was pierced with a rather loud expletive which would burn the ears off of Isla, before she made the culprits ears burn further, and most probably made them wish their ears were no longer attached by the time she was through with them. “Laird Camdyn…” The way he shouted the words made it sure that no one misunderstood that he thought, not only Camdyn but the whole lot of the MacKay’s, were nothing but something rather slimy and smelly which he had stood in. “Are you listening…I want your man’s head on a spit for what he has done…”