chapter 2 - déjà vu

It seemed like decades had passed until the longed-for knock was heard. I got up from the sofa hesitantly, trying to keep my balance as I almost tripped over my own feet clumsily. I made my way over to the wooden door and grabbed the knob.

I took in a huge breath and tore the door wide open.

And there he was, standing all alone with no police around on the big porch. His deep blue eyes were both sparkling and lifelessly boring, weirdest mixture isn't it? His shirt was twisted slightly at the collar as if he had been pulling at it recently, the stench that evaporated out of him was almost tolerated and his decayed yellow teeth almost made me flinch. Oh and he could use a good shave as well. He sported a toothy grin which I couldn't help but return out of politeness even though the sight in front of me was non other than pitiable. He'd be a handsome man if he took care of himself, he had the potential he just couldn't care less about appearance. And well, he was just out of prison...

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me into a fierce hug which I returned and wrapped my hands round his rather fat body. The smell wasn't overwhelming and I did my best to keep my nostrils plugged which I found more difficult than i'd anticipated since he nearly reeked.

"Look at you kiddo! You're gorgeous." He cheered after pulling away.

"Thanks dad, you don't look so bad yourself." I lied. He planted a kiss on my cheek even though he was fully aware of the fact that he did look bad not to say awful.

"Go in, shall we? It's freezing." He said and I mumbled a yeah sure and stepped aside, letting him in.

As I expected, the second he stepped through the barrier of the door his judgmental self kicked in and he started criticising the house with his eyes, examining every piece of furniture and checking if it was indeed in its rostral place. To my relief, when he turned to face me a grin was plastered across his face, I wasn't going to get hit that night.

"Good job sweetheart, you know daddy loves it when the house is tidy." He congratulated and squeezed my hand warmly.

'Spit on him, he sure as hell deserves it' my subconscious lectured me.

"Your old man'd better have a shower now, showers in jail are a piece of crap nowadays." He defied rather to himself than to me and ascended the stairs up to his bedroom and into the shower. I could hear the water stream out of the shower head briskly which I hadn't heard for quite long expect for my own showers. To think that I wasn't going to be the only person sleeping in this abandoned house seemed like a nutty idea at the moment.

As if on cue I felt my eyelids get heavier and was reminded and not for the first time of the fact that I was literally worn out. I hauled my sleepy heavy body upstairs and over to my room, not even bothering to brush my teeth let alone change.

A sight of relief left my lips as my back hit the soft sheets of my bed and my head hit the cushy pillow. I duck under the blanket and as soon as I was fully covered, I found myself drifting off to a cosy dreamless sleep.

***

My eyes fluttered open to the sound of something being shuttered loudly. That obviously was a big object otherwise it wouldn't cause such a fuss nor wake me up. I hopped out of bed swiftly, looking for the source of the noise. I was roaming round the house letting out several "hello? Is someone there?"

Nothing.

"Dad?" I yelled.

Nothing.

Trepidation streamed through my veins as the overwhelming silence that was surrounding me like thick fog started to get overbearing. I had to know what's going on, I was fully aware that something was up, I felt it in my gut, just had no clue what it was.

You could call it a girlish intuition.

I turned on the lights in the kitchen- it was quite logical that something had shattered there since most of the stuff in the kitchen was fragile. I scanned the fancy room with my eyes but was disappointed to find absolutely nothing, everything was in its right place. I took a few steps into the room to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

All of a sudden the all too familiar air piercing scream was heard, making me flinch.

And to my anxiety, the sound came from my parents' bedroom. I took in a huge breath as I continued repeating prayers in my mind. Even though I wasn't strictly religious I held some faith in my heart that everything would turn out just fine.

I took off into a sprint straight to my parents' bedroom which was known as a forbidden territory, I could count on one hand the times I had been in that room. Even when they weren't home I was too much of a coward to get in and disobey their rules. The door was closed, not that I expected it to be open ajar. I burst into the room, not thinking of the consequences for one single second.

It was way too dark in the stifling room of my parents. I could feel gust fan over the skin on my neck. I instantly noticed the broken window with pieces of glass scattered all across the room which could obviously cause some serious injuries. The only lightening in the room was the moon.

All of a sudden muffles were heard. I turned my head to the left instinctively to be met with my worst nightmare, the reason behind my urge for revenge, the person I held so many grudges against.

He had his familiar black cloak on and that wizard-like hoody to cover his face. The infamous smirk was spread across his invisible face as he sensed my fear. I glanced down and broke into tears immediately as I found my own father tied up in handcuffs, eyes bound with a blindfold and mouth taped over. He had a rather big bruise on his right cheek which pointed out that the man was obviously taunting and hitting him.

It was as though all the air had been ripped out of my lungs as dark repressing memories started flooding through my body, taking over my head forcefully.

Hiiii !

Can I just say thank you for all the lovely comments, you guys are seriously the best! Xx