Chapter 25

---Jacob's POV---

During the whole night, Paige kept shivering and, more strangely, slightly glowing. It wasn't like something they used in that Twilight series, glowing from the sunlight; it was like she glowed from the inside out. I stayed besides her, warming her with my body until she got a fever and let her cool down again.

The door of my bedroom opened, followed by several footsteps. "How is she?" I looked up at Nick, who had rushed here after father had sent him, his parents and Alpha Jackson a message. I sighed while I brushed a few hairs of Paige's face, lingering my fingers on her cheek.

"The same; She's warming up now, probably the fever coming in again." I sighed while my wolf kept pacing in my head, growling at every other male in the area. The only ones that I had allowed in the room were my dad, Nick and his dad, and finally, Alpha Jackson.

A growl erupted from my throat when Jackson took a step towards the bed. I felt my wolf coming closer to the surface while I held my eyes firmly on his foot, breathing between my clenched teeth.

"Easy son, I just wanted to ask you something." Jackson said while father warned him, "I'd be careful if I were you, Robert. His wolf wants to protect his mate, especially in her weakened state." I glared from one to another, only lowering my gaze when dad stared at me. Protective or not, staring an Alpha down wouldn't go without consequences.

I glanced back at Alpha Robert Jackson, who sheepishly rubbed his neck. "Yeah, kind of forgot that." He looked back at me before he continued, "Anyway, you'll probably want to know that Paige will wake up tomorrow morning. But..." Robert trailed off, looking down at my body before he asked "Something wrong with your arm?"

His question made me blink stupidly before I looked down myself and noticed that I was unconsciously scratching my wrist and lower arm. I stopped and muttered, "Just an itch..."

"No, it's not."

We all looked up at Anna, who filled the room with a wave of comfort and relaxation upon her entrance. I felt some of my stress draining away while I looked back down at my mate. Beads of sweat were starting to appear on her face and I sighed. Placing a kiss on her forehead, I got out of bed and pulled a pair of trousers on.

Cool fingers wrapped around my wrist, creating a burning sensation on the skin. I yanked my hand out of Anna's just as a small growl filled the air. Anna smiled a little satisfied while she glanced at Paige, who had a frown on her face while the growl still rolled through her chest.

"It's the bond." Anna replied, cautiously taking a step forwards towards me. "May I?" she asked, indicating my wrist and lower arm. I lifted my arm without replying, probably with an I'm-bored-to-death expression. Anna craned her neck, inching closer to my arm without touching it. When she held a finger above the slightly red skin, another growl erupted from Paige.

"Sorry sweetie." She said to a still unconscious Paige before she raised her hands slowly in the air. Anna looked me firmly in the eye before she nodded, confirming something for herself; She clapped in her hands and turned around. "Nobody can touch Jacob nor Paige; the bonding makes them extremely sensitive." She glanced over her shoulder and added, "Especially the place of marking."

Everyone shared glances while I sat down on the edge off the bed, checking Paige's temperature with the back of my hand. I felt someone touching my back, just between my shoulder blades. I bolted upright, acting like I had an electric shock while I growled loudly, partially shifting along the way.

I turned back to look at father, who was staring at me in shock while remnants of the singlet hung from my shoulders. Anna sighed, rolling her eyes. "I'm guessing there's gonna be a mark on their backs too."