Chapter 20

---Kale's POV---

I was fuming; looking through the pile of paperwork that my fellow hunters thought was useful information. They all brought in observations about Paige, but they couldn't give me what I wanted. I wanted, needed, to know her past.

Glaring back at the four useless men, I flung the papers towards them before I smacked one of them in the face with the pommel of a dagger.

"I don't need to know where she walks when she's at school! You FOOLS!" I bellowed while a growl rumbled through my throat. At times like these, I truly missed my wolf. I would have torn these idiots to pieces.

"I can use my own eyes and ears at school! I asked you to get me more information about herself and her PAST!" snarling, I punched the idiot that brought me the information in his face, knocking him out cold. I scoffed with disgust and threw him out of my office. I wouldn't allow myself to waste any more time on a weakling.

Stalking towards my desk, I growled and cursed under my breath. Maybe I had to push Damon again, use his mate to my advantage. A grin pulled at one end of my lips, curling it in a cruel version of a smile; I could make Damon do my bidding, because when he would refuse, I'd simply order him to bring his mate to me.

My mood was slightly improved, but I still threw the remaining hunters in the room a murderous glare before I growled, "You better pray you won't disappoint me. I'm in no mood to deal with any more disappointments." One of the men swallowed harshly and I smirked, moving my attention on him.

"You have something to say, Carl?" I hissed, causing the man to freeze and slowly look up, making sure that he didn't stare me in my eyes. Smart man.

He took a deep breath before he explained, "I've only found out that the orphanage where Paige was collected from wasn't far from here. Her adoptive mother left for her alone and came back the same day." He paled slightly before he lowered his head again, whispering, "That's all I can provide you with."

I leaned on the back off my heels while I filled the room with silence. The fear waved of Carl, making the other men nervous as well. Allowing myself to think back about our past, I knew that the reason that I loved to see them cower from me was the fact that I was born from a former Alpha-line.

Turning my attention back to the cowering men in front of me, I smiled lightly before I lifted the man's head with the dagger, forcing him to look me in the eyes. I leaned slightly closer to his face and said in a slow, deadly tone "The only reason why you can leave this room alive, is because I find your information mildly useful."

I slowly pulled the blade over his cheek, leaving a long gash behind before I gestured towards the door with my chin. "Get out of my sight!" I hissed, my voice full with venom. Carl kept his head low while he scurried out of the room. Before the door could close, however, one of the messengers walked in.

One look on the man showed me he brought me bad news; his face was pale with little droplets of sweat beading of him and he wobbled on his knees. I growled slightly, turning towards him while he bowed "M-m-my lord, o-one of the s-scouts had some n-news." He stuttered, shaking as a leaf.

My nose scrunched up when fear clung to the air. Whatever he was going to tell me, I knew what the outcome would be. "Speak up!" I snarled and the man jolted slightly before he rushed out "My lord, Damon and his mate are under pack-protection-"

I interrupted the man with a roar, making him and the two hunters jump. One of them made the mistake to let his fear take over; he tried to run out of the room. A snarl erupted from my throat and the man froze, listening to the warning it carried...but he was too late.

A Shifter Among Wolvesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें