Dean had meant to direct that towards Castiel specifically, but he wasn't going to correct him. "Oh, by the way, I liked your lily. It was a pretty color." He said, wanting to tell him that it reminded him of Castiel's eyes. He thought better of it.

Cas felt his cheeks warm and his stomach churn. "Thank you."

They stood awkwardly, Dean clearing his throat once again, and Castiel shuffling around. He suddenly remembered what he was doing and turned to finish locking up the cabinet. After it had been successfully clicked into place, he flipped around and suddenly found himself much closer to Dean than he was expecting. While he had been locking the cabinet, Dean had taken a few steps forward, and now they were only about an arms length away from each other.

"So, uh, Cas." Dean said a bit gruffly. He began to say something else, but was interrupted by a sharp knock.

"Castiel. Anna wants us both for dinner tonight. We should get going." Gabriel said flatly, standing in the doorway, his eyes locked into Dean.

"Oh shit, right, sorry. The guys and I went a little late today." Castiel mumbled, scooting around Dean and hurrying over to Gabe. His brother put a hand on his shoulder protectively, glaring at Dean.

"Let's go." He ushered Castiel out into the foyer of the band room, but not before Cas waved at Dean.

"See you tomorrow, Winchester."

"Bye, Cas." He gave a small wave in reply and shoved his hands back in his pockets.

After Castiel was out of sight, Gabe stood for a moment longer, staring at Dean with a clenched jaw and intense eyes. Dean could see the murder that shot out of them. Gabe walked out and Dean let out a sigh of relief.

Fuck.

~~~~~~~~

Cas sat at the kitchen table, drawing. He has set aside his book after he was finished with the actual homework portion of the latest English assignment, and now was completing his favorite part. As he drew, he could see Gabe and Anna in the kitchen making dinner out of the corner of his eye. Gabe said something Cas couldn't quite make out to Anna before setting down the towel he was using to dry his hands and walking over to the table.

"Homework?" He asked casually.

"Yeah." Cas said.

"What class?" He asked.

"English." Castiel replied, fixated on his work.

"Didn't think you'd have to draw for an English class." Gabe said, sitting down in the chair adjacent to him.

"Oh, I don't. I just want to." He said, choosing his words carefully. He thought it best to keep his intentions very vague so as not to reveal the truth behind them.

Gabriel nodded. "So what do you think of your teacher? Mr. Winchester? You like him?"

The question made Castiel stop and look up at his brother. "Yeah, why do you ask? I thought you guys were friends."

"Just curious." Gabe said, studying his face intently.

Does he know...? Can he tell?