29. Narissa

"Draco!" Hermione exclaimed, running up the stairs to where he sat. 

His eyes were red and tears had streaked his face, though he wasn't actively crying. He hunched over like he couldn't move until he raised his head to see her, "Hermione?" He muttered out desperation in his voice. "Y-you're back." 

Hermione rushed over, kneeling down in front of where he sat in his chair.  "Of course I am Draco, I told you I'd be back." She placed a quick kiss on his cheek. 

"I'm sorry I wasn't there when you got back..." He sniffled, rubbing a hand over his face. 

"Oh, Draco don't be." Hermione took his hands in hers, "hey, what's wrong, Draco? What happened?" She moved one hand up to cup his face in her palm. "Talk to me." 

"My mother..." He muttered out. 

"What? What happened?" She knew where this was going. They got to her. The Death Eaters' did something to her to get to him- 

"She killed herself." 

Hermione was speechless. She couldn't imagine how he felt. Well, she could, ever since she obliviated her parents she could say she had a pretty good idea. But this was different. Not knowing you but happy is one thing. Passed away of old age is one thing. Murdered, is bad enough. Suicide is even worse. 

If you get killed, at least your loved ones can know you didn't want to go. But this, she left. She left this world by choice and that is the ultimate pain you can ever give someone. Hermione didn't even know the woman personally, but she knew she was loved. She knew she was worth so much more than a self-inflicted death. 

It crushed Hermione to hear, but even more so, it crushed her to see the look in Draco's eyes. Like he didn't do enough for her. Hermione knew that he blamed himself because that's what loved ones do. The Gryffindor didn't say a word, she just pulled Draco into her arms and held him. She felt his shoulders start shaking. Her heard felt like it was cracking. She heard his quiet sobs and knew at that moment. 

She knew she loved him. There were no more maybes or 'I think'. She loved him. Hermione Granger loved Draco Malfoy and she knew by how her heart hurt when she heard his sobs. She never wanted him to be in pain. She wished him nothing but happiness, with or without her, and that's love. 

The girl was clashed with feelings. Grief, pain, love, and a longing to help him. McGonagall didn't return that night. So she just sat with him in her arms until the sun came up, praying that by later in the morning he'd feel even the slightest bit of relief. 

-*-

"I give up. I've tried every word and spell I can think of to unlock this stupid thing." Ginny exclaimed, looking at the snake lock on Bellatrix's diary. "Right down to 'the dark lord is the best 1998'" She huffed, earning a slight grin from Harry. 

"Did you try 'Password'?" Ron asked from his seat on the couch. 

"Yes, you idiot!" Ginny snapped back. 

"Someone didn't get enough sleep." Ron rolled his eyes before going back to his game of wizards chess. 

"It's weird that Hermione and Draco weren't there this morning." Ginny looked to the boys, setting the diary down. 

"What's weirder is McGonagall came to the Gryffindor Tower to give us the Diary that Hermione had and didn't question it," Harry commented. 

"She must know what's going on." Ginny shrugged. 

"Scary witch always does," Ron whined. "I mean honestly, she knows everything." 

Harry nodded before moving his knight. "Kingsley mentioned something about Malfoy Manor, maybe a Death Eater attack?" Harry offered. 

"Does anyone even live there anymore?" Ron questioned. 

"Just Narissa Malfoy... Check." 

"Bollox... Isn't she and Bellatrix like..." Ron pondered his move, "Sisters?" 

Click

Ginny gasped. "Ron you did it!" 

"What did I do?" 

"The diary opened! The password must have been sisters!" She exclaimed, "wow, all the things I tried, pureblood, fancy Latin even. And 'Sisters' is the winner." Ginny huffed. 

Harry walked over taking the diary, "I'll start reading but, we should find Hermione, you know she's going to want to sweep every page." The two nodded at him and Harry walked over, moving his king. "Checkmate." 

"Bloody hell." 

-*- 

Knock knock knock

Hermione watched as the office door swung open. The Head Mistress walked in to find Hermione on the floor with Draco in her arms. "I hate to interrupt, but I-" 

"It's alright, thank you for giving us time, I suppose we missed the meeting?" Hermione whispered. 

McGonagall nodded, "the others are working on a password, I'm sure they'll find you when they figure it out. For now, take some time, wars' don't rest but I'd say you have some downtime." The old witch nodded. Hermione gave her a small smile in return. 

"Draco," she whispered to him and he sat up, rubbing his face before standing and making his way quickly out of the office. "Thank you." Hermione gave one last nod and headed out after Draco. He was already down the hallway by the time she got out, she ran ahead to catch up with him. 

"Do you want to-" 

"No." 

"Draco I-"

"Just leave me alone." 

"Draco now is-"

"JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!" Draco yelled, "I've always been alone! I don't do well with others!" He spat at her. Hermione flinched under his words. "You could never understand! So just leave me the hell alone!" The boy began to make his exit. But Hermione puffed up her chest, anger coursing through her. 

"Hey!" She grabbed his sleeve, which he yanked away, "I know you're grieving right now, I do, but I do understand, Draco, I do more than most, so don't you tell me I don't!" She raised her voice just enough to make him listen.

"How? How could you possibly understand, Granger? Has your mum ever offed herself? Has ur father ever gotten the Dementor's kiss? NO! So don't tell me you understand when you bloody well don't!" Draco's voice was venom, hot and burning, yelling at her without mercy. 

"Because I obilivated mine! Maybe I didn't go through what you have, but I went through something different. No, maybe I don't understand exactly! But I know you shouldn't be alone! I know you need to be with someone who loves you and I love you! So don't walk away, Draco please." Hermione breathed, out of breath. She looked up into his cold eyes and saw how much pain was buried inside. 

She didn't know how else to help him, but she wished she could take away his pain. She wished it more than anything else. 

"Hermione!" Harry exclaimed as he saw her, "we figured out the password, I-" Harry paused, seeing Draco's expression. "What?... What happened?"