8: Star Gazing

Hermione walked down the corridor deep in though and absentmindedly thanked the Gods that everything was back to normal. Clutching her books to her chest she continued down the corridor she made her way to her next class. Harry approached her with a small smile as he adjusted his leather messenger bag and walked alongside her.

Hermione continued in her little world as Harry greeted her, but when no reply was heard he snapped his fingers in front of her face, "Mione' you alright?" he asked, clearly worried for his friend.

"Oh Harry!" Hermione exclaimed, "yes of course, just a bit tried from the other night." She explained.

He looked at her knowingly and nodded, "it was a fun night. Did you enjoy the party? I barely saw you." He asked. After they finished cleaning ad repairing the Great Hall they held a party for all the students and teachers, though to Harry, Hermione seemed to disappear a few times throughout the night.

"Oh yes, it was lovely," she spoke softly, "I sat with Luna for a great deal of the night," she explained simply. Knowing that's not all that she did.

"Ah." Harry nodded. As they continued their way down the corridor Hermione's eyes wandered ahead, where who else but Malfoy stood, rummaging through his schoolbag. He looked up and their eyes met, if even for a moment, he felt his heart drop before he put his shield back up. He didn't acknowledge her presence, and simply went back to his bag as they walked by.

Hermione felt her body tense but continued their way down the hall, as if they hadn't just spent only a week ago saving each other's lives. As if nothing had happened last night. She sighed as they walked into class and kept her head down, trying not to think about the events of the last twenty-four hours.

-The Night Before-

Hermione sighed as she kneeled on the floor in front of her trunk at the end of her bed. She tilt her head back towards the celling in frustration, letting out a groan.

"Hermione Granger, why aren't you dressed?" Ginny gasped, stepping out of the Bathroom, full hair, makeup and dress on and ready to go.

"Because Ginny, I cannot find anything to wear," she sighed deeply, turning to face Ginny, "why do I even care, it's not the Yule Ball, it's just some party, I'm not even going with anyone." She stated simply, leaning her back against her trunk.

"Yes but you might meet someone," She wriggled her eyebrows in a playful manner.

Hermione groaned in reply.

"C'mon Mione! We still have time! You can borrow something of mine!" Ginny squealed in excitement, heading over to her trunk by her bed, next to Hermione's.

"No! I am not wearing something of yours." Hermione said nervously.

"Why?"

"Because..." Hermione twisted a stray curl around her finger with a skeptical look on her face.

"What?" Ginny demanded, "what's wrong with my style?"

"It's just, a little more, um, revealing than what I would wear." Hermione worded carefully.

"Oh shut it, and get your arse over here." She narrowed her eyes at Hermione dragging her over to the selection of nicer dresses. "We'll do your hair with magic and we won't even be late!"

Another groan was heard from Hermione.

-*-

Hermione and Ginny made their way out of the Gryfinndor Common Rooms, by 7:15pm. "Oh Merlin! We're late Gin I'm sorry! Fifteen minutes late!" Hermione apologized, knowing if it wasn't for her Ginny would have been on time.