𝘹𝘹𝘷. 𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘦𝘴

───────  ⋆ ☾ ⋆  ───────

───────  ⋆ ☾ ⋆ ───────

WHEN THEY GOT BACK TO VARIS'S HOME, a tense silence hung over their heads. Their walk back to the home had been relatively silent, but Kylo Ren could feel Cassus watching him the whole time.

Greer sat at the table, tinkering with a few wires and circuits. She perked as the two entered. "What happened?"

Kylo glanced at Cassus. He knew that she would not say anything, but he could not help but be on edge.

"It didn't work out," Cassus said with an apologetic look.

"Oh." Greer's eyes lowered to the floor before coming back up with a spark of hope. "Well, we made good progress on the communicator. Hopefully we'll be able to contact the Resistance soon."

Cassus smiled and nodded. "Good."

Only when Greer turned back to her work did Fett share a tense look with Ren. Contacting the Resistance was the last thing that they needed.

That night, they found themselves sitting on the roof as they did every night. They ate their dinner, and their conversations were much less tense than they had been.

"So it was bad today?" Varis asked, regarding Cassus and Ren.

The two shared a glance. It was almost comical as Kylo Ren chewed through a mouthful of his food.

"Yeah..." Ren said, hoping that Varis would not ask for too many details.

"Did you have to kill anybody?"

"No." Cassus shook her head.

"Oh." Varis looked back down at his plate. Ren could not tell if the man considered her answer better or worse than what he thought. He almost looked disappointed.

"Is the pilot anyone that we should be worried about?" Varis asked.

"No," Cassus said, "He's a good man."

"Anyone can act like a good man when you're offering to pay them."

"I know, but..." She avoided Ren's gaze. "I've met him before."

Ren's dropped his fork roughly into his bowl. "What? How?"

"There were people after my father." Cassus looked up at Varis. "He had been a bounty hunter. Before I was born, my parents settled on Mandalore and he gave up that kind of work, but he had already made too many enemies. When I was small, they came for us. They killed my mother, and my father and I were forced to leave."