Chapter 16

Keep it flourishing, keep it flourishing, keep it flourishing
ㅡ Flourishing, Chungha

Sydney

“So,  I wanted to tell you something.”

My grandmother answered on the other side.

What is it, dear?

“There’s this guy…” I glanced at him and he gave me a thumbs up and an encouraging smile. “His name is Felix.”

Oh my, have you found a boyfriend?

“Yeah…”

I’m so happy for you!

She said excitedly through the phone. “Oh, dear. Is he with you?

I smiled. “Yeah, he is.” I looked over at him. “Lix, come here.” Felix stood up from his place on the couch and walked over to me. I put the phone on speaker and let him hold it.

“Hello?” He spoke in English, his deep, australian accent showing.

I hope you are treating my grandaughter well, young man.

My grandmother said sternly.

I facepalmed and cringed.

Felix chuckled and placed an arm around my waist, pulling me close to him. I could tell he was nervous.

“I am, don’t worry ma’am.”

Good to hear. Syd, you need to bring him to England and let me see him!

“Okay, grandma, I have to go now. I’ll talk to you later, take care.”

My grandmother chuckled. “Bye, child.

Then she hung up.

I sighed and threw my phone in the couch, burying my head in Felix’s shoulder, embarrassed. He laughed and stroked my hair. “We have to go to England now.”

I rolled my eyes. “We don’t.”

“And we will.” I groaned and pulled away from him, knowing the humiliation would be real.

“I’m gonna get a snack.” I announced, waking in the kitchen.

“Get me some strawberries for me!” I heard him yell.

“Yeah, whatever!” I yelled, opening the fridge and grabbing one of the many crates of strawberries. These boys love their strawberries. I walked back to the living room and saw Felix by the door, I was about to walk over there to see who was there but Felix was shoved, and a tanned, brunette girl pushed her way into the house.

“Is he here?” My eyebrows furrowed as I opened the crate and sat on the couch, taking a bit of one of the strawberries.

“I told you many times, no.”

“I don’t believe you.” Then she noticed me. “Who is she?”

“None of your business, now get out.”

“I want to see him.” She whined.

“He’s not--”

“I'm going to his room.” The girl rolled her eyes and walked up the many stairs.

“Um…” I looked at Felix.

He sighed and ruffled his hair before closing the door and sitting next to me. “Ignore her. She's like obsessed with Hyunjin.”

“Oh, that's the girl Hyunjin told me about? What was her name…”

“Ivy.”

“Right! I heard she even kissed him!”

Felix frowned and nodded, staring in the distance.

“What’s up?”

“Just...we’re not on talking terms right now, but Hyunjin is still my brother and i still care for him. I know he doesn't like that girl and her being here is gonna piss him off even more. So, it makes me angry.”

I smiled at him being an overprotective younger brother.
“You should talk to him.”

“I will. But for now...”

I stood up to see what he was talking about but he laid down in the couch and sat beside him. I let out a small laugh and laid down right beside him. My heartbeat sped up as his arm wrapped around my waist and pulled me closer to him, my face warming up. I smiled and stared at him as he did to me. This moment seemed so beautiful. Just two of us...couch may be a weird place, though. It was quiet. Peaceful.

“Lets play a game.”

“What do you suggest?” I asked.

“Twenty questions? I just think we don't know as much about each other as we think…so..how about tonight, just you and I. A movie...or four.”

I smiled and leaned in to give him a peck on the lips. “I don't mind. What's your first question?”

“Uh...favourite colour?”

“Simple. I like it.” I laughed. “I'd have to say red and black.”

“No way, same!”

“You would look awesome in those colours.” I said truthfully. “Okay, my turn.” I thought about it for a while. “What's the worst that the gang did?”

Felix brought a hand up to his chin. “Actually, breaking into some guys place and beating the shit out of him and his guys. He owed us a shit ton of money that he definitely wasn't gonna pay us until we took action.” He laughed at the memory. “But..we dont do that stuff anymore. We kinda gave up that life and started dancing. Thats how were here now. Though, we still do small jobs here and there IF theyre for a good cause.”

I shook my head with a small smile. “Entertaining. Your turn.”

“Uh...what..was your dad like?”

I gulped and my gaze dropped from his eyes to his hand on my waist. “He was...pretty much how every dad is supposed to be. There isn't much to say...I didn't have him for long.”

“Syd--”

“No.” I closed my eyes and let out a breath. “I don't want any...pity.”

“I wasn't going to pity you--”

“Its okay, Lix.” He didn't respond so I looked at him a smile. A fake smile. “What about your family?”

“Uh...my mum...uh...she ran away two months after I was born. Leaving me and my horrible dad...he's in a gang. The leader of a gang. A gang that is way more powerful and stronger and has more men than we ever will.”

“What? Why didn't you tell me earlier?”

“It's isn't exactly something I can say so casually, Sydney!” He snapped.

My eyes softened and I nodded. “I know, I’m sorry.”

He sighed and looked away.

Silence extended into the air.

I rested my head on his shoulder, my hands finding their way to his jawline and caressing it softly. He still didn't look at me. He was obviously upset. I inwardly sighed and moved my head to rest on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. I smiled slightly and closed my eyes. I could feel the world around me begin to fade away, before I knew it, I fell asleep.

(a/n: i was supposed to update yesterday but....)