Golden Glow

Sequel to Glowing Eyes from my 31 Day One Shot Challenge February 2019 Edition - Requested by @tHe_RetARdeD_caT
___

"There has to be something we can do." Petra insisted, slamming her fist down on the wooden surface of the table.

"I want to believe that more than anything, but Petra..." Lukas paused, sighing as he combed his fingers through his blonde hair. "...We're out of options at this point."

"I refuse to believe that." Petra said, getting up so swiftly, her chair tipped backwards and fell. "If we give up, we'll loose both Beacontown and Jesse." She swung around, glaring at the other people around the table. "The town is one thing, but Jesse's our friend, she might as well have been our family. And we're not giving up on her if it's the last thing we do."

Nobody said anything, some exchanging glances while others guided their gazes down at the table. They all knew Petra was correct, there was no leaving their leader behind. But as Lukas said, they were out of options.

Whatever the Admin did to Jesse had shown no signs of wearing off. She obeyed his every command like a puppet. There were no emotion in her golden eyes when she tortured and killed her own citizens, no recognition when her friends cried her name.

The Admin had taken full control of Beacontown, ruling the place like it was his. Jesse lifelessly stood by his side through all of it, not batting an eyelid at any of his cruel actions.

Lukas, Petra, Radar, Jack and Nurm had tried all they could to try and end the Admin's reign and save Jesse. Others had fought with them at first, but those who didn't back out with their tails between their legs were captured and blinked out of existence.

"Maybe we should start with leaving Beacontown." Jack suggested, looking up again. "It's only a matter of time before the Admin finds us hiding here in the basement of my shop. In fact, I'm surprised he hasen't already." Nurm hummed in agreement.

"W-Where would we g-go?" Radar stuttered nervously, adjusting his glasses with shaky hands.

"Where to go wouldn't be our biggest problem." Petra said, thoughtfully tapping her fingers against the table's surface. "I know of a lot of places we can hide out outside of town, the old order's temple, my old cave, there's no shortage of hideouts."

"I feel like there's a but coming." Lukas said with a frown.

"We'd be running." Petra said, picking her chair back up and slumping down in it. "I'm not giving that monster the pleasure of seeing us flee and hide like cowards." She sighed. "Besides, everything we have is set up here. We either leave it all behind, or risk being seen moving it out."

Once again, it was quiet around the table.

"Let's sleep on it." Lukas finally said with a sigh. "It's late. Tomorrow we'll try and find a way around this problem again, with new energy."

Everybody else silently nodded in agreement.

"Who's on shift tonight?" Lukas asked as they all got up again.

"Petra and I." Jack said. He turned to the redhead. "Which post do you want to take?"

"Entrance." Petra decided. "I've been cooped up down here too long, I need some air."

"You two be careful, as always." Lukas said to them.

"Of course, of course." Petra dismissively waved her hand at Lukas. "See you all in the morning."

Turning away from the others, Petra made her way to the stairs. Fortunately the shop was empty, no hiding citizens, looters or the Admin's guards around. Petra took her place at the entrance, Miss Butter unsheathed and held ready. The moon was already up high, stars sprinkled across the dark sky.