Painful Reminder

Plot requested by @X_EmLee_X

___
This One shot includes my OC, Rascal. For those who don't know him, Rascal is a wolf that Jesse and Petra found as a puppy, and now shares a close bond with Petra.
___

It was a beautiful morning, the sun outside shining and the sky a crisp blue. There was a gentle breeze, keeping the day from getting just too hot. Usually to Jesse, it would have been... perfect.

But as Jesse sat at the table that morning, she was merely glumly staring down at the two pancakes in front of her. A meal that she usually would have wolfed down within minutes, now not even appetising to look at.

Jesse's friends were all at the table as well, but they didn't say much, probably realising she needed the peace and quiet. Even after all these years, the order always reunite to be there for Jesse during this time.

"It's beautiful outside." Olivia spoke up eventually. "Not at all rainy and gloomy like it has been for the past few days-"

"Hey, who said rain was gloomy?" Petra interrupted.

"Shush." Olivia hissed at the redhead. "As I was saying, I think we should make some good use out of this beautiful weather. What do you guys think? We can't spend the day inside while it's so sunny outside!"

"Like what?" Axel asked with a mouthful of pancake.

"We could go for a ride, maybe?" Lukas suggested. "Just take the horses a few miles out of beacontown, maybe stop somewhere in the forest for lunch?"

"That would be great!" Petra spoke up. "My boy here is longing to get out of the house and run." As if the young wolf understood his owner's words, Rascal's tail began wagging.

"Jesse?" Olivia asked, looking over at the only one who haven't spoken up yet.

"I'm not objecting." Jesse just replied numbly.

"It's going to be fun!" Petra said, noticing her sulky expression.

"Why don't we all finish up here, and get ready?" Lukas suggested. "I could go make a start on saddling up some horses for us!"

"I'll come with you." Petra offered as they both got up, walking over to place their empty plates in the sink. Olivia held hers out to them, nodding a thanks to Lukas as he took it for her.

"I should probably just go put something more suitable on." She said, looking down at the red dress she was wearing. "This thing isn't going to get me far on a horse."

She got up, starting to head in the direction of the staircase, as Petra, Rascal and Lukas went outside. She stopped behind Jesse, placing a hand on her shoulder and slightly leaning down.

"Maybe you should too, Jesse." She said softly, giving Jesse's shoulder a gently squeeze, before leaving.

Jesse skeptically looked down at her pyjamas, which she hasn't even bothered to change out of. Olivia probably had a point... She didn't really feel like going out. She usually loved going out with her friends, even more so if they were going for a long ride. Just not that day...

"Are you not hungry bud?" Axel asked as Jesse got up, not having touched her pancakes.

She shook her head 'no', before turning in the directions of the stairs. Axel looked after her sadly, but then his face lit up as he reached over, pulling the plate of pancakes towards himself.

Jesse trudged up the staircase, towards her own bedroom. She stepped inside, closing the door behind her. Her eyes fell on a picture on her bedside table, slowly walking over and picking it up.