No Regrets

Today was a big day for Radar. It was his first day of work, and he was both excited and terrified. After all, this wasn't just any job! He was going to be working for a member of The Order of the Stone, and not just any member of the Order – Jesse herself. Beacontown's Hero In Residence, their leader. 

Oh, how he's always looked up to her... he couldn't believe his eyes when she showed up on his doorstep one morning, completely cool and casual, announcing that he had the job.

He had never thought he would get the job! After all who would hire a nervous, jittery, young man, who's only job experience was a window cleaner? Jesse apparently.

Radar took a deep breath, looking at himself in the mirror one last time. He straightened his blue tie and dusted down his jacket one last time before taking a deep breath.

"Here goes nothing." He said to himself as he opened the door to his little cottage and stepped outside into the crisp morning air.

A few white clouds were dotted about in the blue sky, some dry autumn leaves blew across the street, dropping in puddles, or piling up on people's windowsills. Radar made sure not to step in any puddles that was made by the previous night's rain. He couldn't afford arriving at work with muddy boots.

Radar took another deep breath as he carefully walked up the steps of the Order Hall. He felt his heart beating rapidly with nervous excitement.

Radar was about to extend his hand to the gleaming golden door knob, before he froze. Was he really just about to touch the Order Hall's door with his bare hands?

Quickly Radar searched through his pockets, until he found a clean tissue. He used it to carefully turn the door knob, before stepping inside.

Radar looked around him nervously. The Order hall was massive, yet cozy. Somewhere a heater was turned on, keeping the crisp air warm and comfortable. There was a tick red rug on the floor, which looked incredibly soft, as well as a few paintings and photographs on the walls.

Radar gulped slightly, feeling a bit nervous. As welcoming as it felt, the hall was empty... where was he supposed to go? He really hadn't thought this through.

Radar quickly wiped his sweaty hands on his jacket, looking around him as he took in the surroundings. There was a door to his left, which hung slightly ajar. Through it he could make out what looked like a couch. To his right was a staircase, leading up to the second floor of the building.

Radar took a deep shaky breath, trying to get his confidence together.

"Hello?" He called out in a trembling voice. He hated how squeaky and anxious his voice sounded.

Suddenly a voice called back, nearly causing Radar to leap out his skin.

"Coming!"

The voice was followed by the loud thudding of footsteps upstairs. Radar turned his gaze towards the staircase as a figure appeared at the top.

"Sorry!" Jesse said hastily as she came down the steps, taking them two at a time. "I overslept!"

Unlike Radar who had dressed up formally and neatly, Jesse was wearing her casual beige overalls which had a mud stain on the side. Her brown hair was slightly damp, hanging over her shoulders in an uncombed mess. She was wearing socks, holding her boots in her right hand.

"Morning Boss." Radar said, giving her a nervous smile.

"Hello Radar!" Jesse greeted back cheerfully, before promptly sitting down on the bottom step of the staircase to pull on her boots.