Invisible

One word prompt "Invisible" requested by @MCSMGamerGirl 

It was cold both outside and inside of the Order Hall. It was winter after all, and snow had been forecast for that evening.

The sky was dark, almost every star hidden beneath a thick layer of clouds.

Most of the trees were bare, their dry branches and twigs casting odd shadows onto the buildings. They'd sway from left to right as a gentle, but crisp breeze swept over the dark town.

Beacontown was pretty quiet at night, everybody having retreated from the cold, trying to stay warm inside their houses. Most had their curtains drawn, the residents already asleep. In a few you could still see the faint glow of a crackling fireplace through the window, thin swirls of smoke rising from the chimneys.

Inside the Order Hall it was dark as well. But not because everybody was asleep – because it was empty.

That's right, the historical building that was once bustling with life was now almost completely empty. Almost.

In one of the bedrooms upstairs, the curtains were slightly parting, allowing somebody to look out at the dark streets of Beacontown.

Her usually-confident brown eyes were dull and lifeless, filled with the sleep deprivation that insomnia brought.

Her hair hung loosely over her shoulders, a few strands dangling in her face, which she didn't see to acknowledge.

She was silently tapping her finger against the windowsill, not even aware of the face that she was doing it. All she did was blankly stare out into the night, trying to focus on anything else but the loneliness she felt in her heart.

And even though this might not sound like her, this person was Jesse. The hero who had saved the world from the Wither Storm alongside her friends. The hero who had defeated the Admin before he could bedrock over their world.

Every day Jesse would be smiling as she walked down the streets of Beacontown, her step energetic and her smile broad. She would high-five any of her fans who ran up to greet her, she would wave to people she passed.

But when darkness set over Beacontown, and nobody was around to see her, Jesse's happiness would wither away.

Jesse would mask her pain every day, in order to keep the spirits of her beloved citizens high. But even though she was smiling and laughing, nobody knew what she truly felt inside.

Suddenly her still form moved slightly, as Jesse lifted one of her hands to push the hair out of her face. She sighed softly, getting up and walking away from the window, letting the curtains fall shut again. Silently Jesse pulled on a pair of jeans over her pyjamas, putting on a thick black jacket.

During the day there wasn't a quiet moment. Everybody adored Jesse, admiring her. If they saw her out on the street they would wave at her, calling her name. This sometimes helped take her mind off everything that haunted her, but sometimes Jesse wished it didn't. She wanted to walk down Beacontown without drawing attention, or making people shriek in excitement.

Taking the cold night as an opportunity, Jesse walked downstairs, wrapping the over-sized jacket around herself tightly.

The wooden stairs loudly creaked beneath her bare feet, the sound echoing around the hallways. Not that it mattered, it wasn't going to wake anybody. Nobody else was around.

Jesse found her boots in the hallway, pulling them on without any socks, before stepping outside in the cold night air. Beneath her thick jacket, Jesse could feel goosebumps rising on her arms. But, ignoring the cold, she started walking down the sidewalk, her feet slightly dragging along.

It was quiet, the only sounds being Jesse's soft breathing and her quiet footsteps.

It felt good, not having any interruptions to her thoughts for once. Jesse didn't care that her breath created small white clouds, she didn't care that that her feet were freezing inside her cold boots. She didn't care as gentle snowflakes began to fall.

It was just her, alone, cold, and blending into the darkness of the night.

-----------------------------

Jesse didn't return to the Order Hall that night. She just stayed outside, wandering through the streets aimlessly, allowing the cold to numb her feelings.

By the time the sun started rising, Jesse's lips were slightly blue, and she was visibly shivering. But she barely noticed, and if she did, she didn't care. There were dark circles under her eyes, as she stared out in front of her. Bits of snow were shimmering in her hair as the sunlight shown onto her.

The first of Beacontown's citizens started emerging from their homes, children calling out in joy at the sight of the fresh layer of snow.

Not wanting any attention drawn to her, Jesse pulled the hood of the black jacket over her head, allowing the shadow to cast across her face.

People walked by her, not even glancing her way. Jesse slowly turned around, ready to walk back to the Order Hall. Time to get dressed and put on a smile for another day.

Keeping her jacket's hood low over her face, Jesse walked back in silence, dragging her boots through the snow. Nobody took notice of her as she quietly passed by them. For once she was as invisible as the pain she hid from the world.

I actually really enjoyed writing this. Can't believe I'm writing about snow, while I'm sweating from the heat xD

So, I took a bit of a different writing style here, don't know how noticeable it is. Also, I didn't put too much emphasis on what is haunting Jesse. But I gave some hints, which should make it pretty obvious. (This is obviously my favourite freaking topic to write about XD)

I'd like to give a special thanks to @MCSMGamerGirl who requested this. I had a lot of fun!

Requests are still open, whether it's actual plot lines, one word prompts, or continuations of past one shots!

For those who are still busy ready the boring author's note (XD) I'd just like to inform you that my computer is going in for repairs in a few days. Might skip a few days of posting when that happens. (saying this, because it's obvious as hell I'm going to be updating this book daily XD)