Adventure

Extended Version of "Adventure?" from my 31-Day Oneshot challenge. 

This was it. The day Jesse wished would never come. She stood at the gates to Beacontown, ready to say goodbye to her best friend. Petra was leaving.

Jesse tried to gulp down the lump in her throat. She wasn't going to stop Petra. She knew this was going to make Petra happy, and that's all Jesse ever wanted; for her friends to be happy. But she couldn't bare to see her best friend leave. What if they never see each other again? After everything they've been through together, after their countless years of friendship – could this really be the end?

Jesse and Petra watched as Olivia and Axel walked off into the distance, ready to return to Redstonia and Boomtown. In only a few minutes, Petra would be walking off like that too. The mere thought made Jesse's chest tighten.

Petra turned to Jesse. Her eyes were shining with excitement, but as she spoke, her voice contained a hint of sadness. "I guess this is it?"

Jesse took a deep breath. "I guess it is." She looked up at Petra, managing a small, sad, smile. "I'm going to miss you a lot, you know."

"And I'm going to miss you too." Petra said as Jesse pulled her into a tight hug. Jesse silently buried her face into Petra's jacket. "You know you could always come with me, right?" Petra said softly.

Jesse's heart ached at the sound of hope in her friend's voice. "I..." She started, before trailing off.

Petra's face fell slightly. "I know. Beacontown." She said, sighing softly. "I understand."

"I'm sorry." Jesse whispered, looking down at the ground. She didn't want to see the hurt look on Petra's face.

Petra reached over, gently lifting Jesse's head up, and smiling at her. "Hey, I understand. You have to do what makes you happy. And if that's running Beacontown, then that's where you should be."

Jesse pulled Petra into another hug. Was that really what she wanted though? Did she really want to run Beacontown? Is that her life...?

Finally they pulled away again. "Have fun out there, OK?" Jesse said, battling to keep her voice steady.

Petra nodded, smiling faintly at Jesse. "I'll see you again."

Those were her last words, as she turned around and started walking towards the gates. As she passed through them, it took every muscle in Jesse's body to stop herself from bolting after Petra. She couldn't believe she was letting her go.

Petra looked back one last time, waving at Jesse, before turning back to the road. She resumed walking again, her pace almost slightly reluctant.

Jesse wrapped her arms around herself, tears welling up in her eyes. She sniffed slightly. It was happening, this was it. She had just let her last friend, her best friend go. Possibly forever. A tear silently trickled down Jesse's cheek.

A figure came up beside Jesse, and she felt their hand on her shoulder. Wiping her eyes on her sleeve, Jesse looked over to see that it was Lukas. He could see the tears in her eyes, the sorrow on her face.

"You don't want to do this, do you?" Lukas asked softly. He could see that this broke her heart.

Not trusting herself to speak, Jesse only shook her head.

Lukas turned Jesse so she was face him, putting both his hands on her shoulders. "Then go."

"What?" Jesse asked in a small voice.

"You deserve your happy ending." Lukas said, smiling warmly at Jesse. "And if that means leaving Beacontown, then you shouldn't hold back. Go."