A Birthday to Remember

Based on the artwork above, from my Drawing MCSM Ships for 15 Days Challenge.
Thank you to:
X_EmLee_X
Ultra_Serendipity
eternal-eloquence and
mcsmfangirl1
who all chanted for me to "Do it!" 

I hope you're all happy XD
___

"That's good, that's good. Loosen your grip on the reins a bit... that's it, good." Lukas instructed as he stood in the middle of the ring, slowly turning around as his gaze stayed on Jesse while she rode around him.

Jesse's face was laced with concentration as she focused to keep her position in the bay mare's saddle perfect. Yet, there was a smile on her face, her brown eyes twinkling with excitement.

"Do another two laps, counter-clockwise, at canter." Lukas said, to which Jesse immediately pulled on the mare's left rein.

Obeying, the horse turned around, changing directions. As Jesse applied the slightest bit of pressure with her boots, the mare broke into a steady canter.

"Sit back a bit." Lukas advised, a smile forming on his lips as Jesse swiftly corrected her position.

"You're getting good at this!" Petra called out from where she was sitting on the fence, clapping her hands as Jesse slowed the horse down again, stopping in the middle of the ring beside Lukas.

"Indeed." Lukas agreed as he reached up to stroke the mare's nose. "No doubt in a few months from now, I'll be able to start teaching you how to jump."

"I can't wait." Jesse said excitedly, patting the horse's neck.

"Well, that will be it for today." Lukas said. "Could you unsaddle and cool her down for me? Stable her as well, it's too late to turn her out to pasture."

"Sure!" Jesse said, swinging her leg over the saddle.

"I'll come give you a hand in a second in case she decides to be difficult." Lukas said. "I just want to discuss something with Petra quickly."

"Okay." Jesse responded excitedly, beginning to lead the horse away. Lukas could hear her talking to the mare, telling her 'what a good girl she was' and 'how much she loved her'.

"You're one hell of a coach." Petra said, hopping down from the fence and walking over to Lukas. "She's learning really quickly."

"Nah, Jesse's just an expert at this." Lukas said with a chuckle as he opened the ring's gate for them. "If she wasn't this dedicated, she wouldn't have gotten this far already. You should see her get back up on that horse after a fall, brushing it off as if it never happened."

"She does love riding." Petra said. Her expression hardened a tiny bit. "It's been helping her a lot. She hasn't been the same since Axel and Olivia left, not to even mention you as well."

"Hey now." Lukas held up his hands. "It's not like I moved to a different town! I'm just a short walk out of Beacontown."

"Still." Petra said with a sigh. "Even I have to admit that things aren't the same in the Order Hall any more. And it's impacting Jesse hard." She shook her head, sighing again. "Whatever, at least she's been loving these lessons you're giving her."

"Horse therapy." Lukas said, winking. "I told you it'd work."

Petra rolled her eyes, chuckling slightly. "Yes, yes, whatever. So, is everything ready for tomorrow?"

"Oh you have little faith in me Petra." Lukas said, waving a hand at her. "Of course I have everything ready."

"Well you better have." Petra said, giving Lukas a nudge with her elbow as a grin played on her lips. "Jesse's going to love it."