New Friends

Requested by @Leia031205
___

"Come on, Liv, it's not the end of the world." Jesse said, giving Olivia a nudge with her shoulder. "There's always next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and-"

"I get it, Jesse. Many years to come."

"Exactly! Just because this year was a bust, doesn't mean we can't succeed next year."

Olivia sighed, Jesse's optimism clearly not having the desired affect on her. Her shoulders slouched as she guided her gaze back down to the ground in front of her. Jesse let out a soft sigh of her own, wrapping an arm around Olivia's shoulders in another attempt at making her friend feel better.

"It's just..." Olivia began fiddling with her red sleeves as she spoke, hesitating to find her words. "It's not the fact that we lost that bothers me. It's the fact that we lost to them again. You know the Ocelots aren't going to let us forget this competition either."

Jesse nodded slowly, understanding where Olivia was coming from. She balled her free hand into a tight fist, silently wishing she could use that fist on one of the Ocelots' noses.

When they first entered the Endercon Building Competition, it was meant to be for fun. They didn't give a crap about whether they'd loose or win, the whole thing was just meant to be fun. But every day since, they had been a new favourite target for three members of the rival team, the Ocelots.

"Why did we even think entering again was a good idea?" Olivia mumbled softly.

"We still had fun!" Jesse tried to point out optimistically.

"You call being thrown with insults fun?" Olivia asked sceptically, looking up at Jesse with a glum expression on her face.

It's was Jesse's turn to let her shoulders sag, looking down.

"I don't know how you're this good at not letting their words get to you." Olivia said softly, returning her gaze to the ground.

"Uh, practice?" Jesse suggested, causing Olivia to crack the faintest hint of a smile.

"Look, there's always a stall with free cake somewhere here at Endercon." Jesse said, hopping down from the fence they were both sitting on. "We've got to at least make this worth it."

"I'll pass." Olivia just said softly, pulling her bag closer and taking a book out. "You can go ahead."

"Fine, but I'm bringing back the two chunkiest slices I can find." Jesse insisted, forcing herself to smile brightly at Olivia.

Giving her friend one last pat on the shoulder, Jesse broke into a jog and disappeared into the crowds of people. Her brown eyes searched the surrounding stalls. She could see masks, slime balls... where was the cake?

Jesse glanced back in the direction Olivia was, not wanting to leave her friend alone when she was feeling down. But she also wasn't going back without a way to cheer Olivia up first. So Jesse simply turned back, weaving her way through the crowds.

Despite having felt a little sulky as well only a short while ago, Jesse couldn't help but begin to smile. The air was filled with the smells of various junk food, music pumping through the night sky. Somewhere a collection of fireworks had been set off, resulting in colourful explosions amongst the stars in the sky.

For the most part, Jesse liked some peace and quite. But Endercon was surely magical, and she knew she'd never miss it for the world.

"Good grief, if I can't find the cake, at least give me cookie or pie stall." Jesse grumbled under her breath, finding herself at the complete opposite side of the convention to where she started.