Furious

One word prompt requested by @Ultra_Serendipity

___

Everybody in the Order knew one thing, and that's that Jesse wasn't a morning person. She happened to – most of the time – be the first one up, out of them all. But that didn't necessarily mean she was refreshed and ready for her day.

And that included a very specific, cloudy, rainy morning.

The Order Hall was mostly still dark, since nobody had gotten up to turn on the lights - and of course no natural light came from outside, because of thick clouds in the sky.

There were muffled footsteps upstairs, soon followed by a figure that came walking down the stairs in a sluggish manner.

Jesse's brown hair stood in every direction, looking like some sort of bird tried to make a nest with it. Her eyes half-open and slowly blinking, a hand occasionally raising up to rub them. Dressed in an over-sized, worn through set of pyjamas, her feet nestled into two large, fluffy, bunny slippers.

Jesse yawned as she reached the bottom of the staircase, reaching up and rubbing her tired eyes again. As she opened them again, a movement caught her eye. Jesse turned her head, eyes lazily searching for what had moved.

She only just about spotted something grey dart behind the staircase. Jesse raised her eyebrows, a tiny bit of life appearing in her tired eyes, wondering if it was maybe a rat or a mouse...

They've had a rodent problem before in the Order Hall, and Olivia swore if it ever happened again – she would move out. As much as Jesse despised taking out the cereal box to find a hole chewed in the bottom, or picking up an apple to see it had already been nibbled; she had a soft spot for the tiny animals with their big ears and twitching whiskers.

Whereas the others wanted to get rid of the pests, Jesse always just wanted to catch them and keep them in her room – Olivia manged to stop her before she actually did it. Jesse wondered if she could get her hands on the animal she just saw, before it could cause any trouble?

Jesse peeked around the stairs, just in time to see something grey and fluffy dart beneath a decorative stool that stood there. Her face lid up – it was a rat! She was so going to keep this one as a pet, no matter what Olivia said.

Jesse was unaware of the two eyes watching her as she got down on her knees, peering in beneath the stool.

It was dark, and Jesse could only barely make out the creature's silhouette, it's fur ruffled. She started smiling, in the back of her mind already trying to come up with names for it.

"Hey little guy." Jesse cooed, reaching her hand in underneath the stool, not caring that it might bite her. "Come to Jesse..."

The silhouette moved as the small creature turned to look at Jesse's approaching hand. To her surprise, it let out an all too familiar hiss, it's fur spiking up even more and it's back arching.

It shot right up to Jesse's face, her backing up just in time before it could bite her nose. And she looked into two, lifeless black eyes, sharp fangs visible beneath it lips.

That's when Jesse realised she was in fact not right up against a rat, but a silverfish.

Now only a few people, only her closest friends in fact, knew of Jesse's one, unfortunate encounter with a few billion silverfish chasing her. And they also knew how, while she's incredibly calm fighting something the size of an Enderman, Jesse was terrified of Silverfish.

Everyone who was still asleep at that moment, was instantaneously woken up by a high-pitched, loud shriek, echoing through the hallways.

Jesse practically leaped 3 feet into the air, diving up onto the staircase's railing, until she was perched there like a bird, her eyes wide. Both her slippers were lying metres apart on the floor.