Another Holiday Come and Gone

Lukas sighed as he sunk down into an arm chair, resting his chin in his hand. He twisted his wrist slightly, tired blue eyes glancing down to check the time.

00:30 AM

Lukas sighed, pulling a hand through his blonde hair. Past midnight, it wasn't even Christmas any more – but they were still going.

Hearing another excited, drunken cheer, Lukas glanced up again.

He could just about spot the familiar leather jacket and mob of brown hair from Aiden, among the crowds of people. At that moment, Lukas really really felt like giving his friend a well deserved slap through the face.

It felt like the other three ocelots took ever single opportunity that presented itself, to throw large, crazy parties that tended to get completely out of hand. It always meant a night where Lukas would mostly hang around at the back, watching as everybody around him steadily became more drunk and more illogical by the minute.

Lukas couldn't remember the last Christmas he was actually able to spend by a gentle fireplace, quietly reading a good book.

Sighing, the blonde checked his watch again, internally groaning at the fact that five minutes hadn't even passed. How much longer was the party meant to go on for? He just wanted to go to sleep.

On the bright side, he'd have most of the next day to himself while Aiden, Maya and Gill were passed out drunk all around the house.

Lukas sighed once again, sinking down in the chair. He'd do anything for some peace and quiet at that moment... maybe he should go for a walk outside?

Not needing to think about it twice, Lukas got up from the chair. He quietly slipped past the drunken crowds, avoiding his three friends as much as possible.

Grabbing a thick hoodie from beside the door, Lukas pulled it over his black leather jacket for some extra warmth, before stepping out into the cold night air. He inhaled slowly, relishing in the sudden peace and silence.

It was rather peaceful outside. The snow that had been falling earlier had settled, leaving the dark blue sky clear and a fresh coating of icy white powder draped over the landscape.

Lukas shoved his hands into his pockets and began walking down the deserted street. Christmas lights flickered on some of the houses he passed, a Christmas carol playing softly somewhere in the distance.

He looked down at the ground in front of him, his shoulders slumping slightly. Christmas, a holiday he used to loved. Every year he'd look forward to it, counting the days that lead up to Christmas.

But the last few years simply hadn't been the same. Ever since the other ocelots decided there was a better way to spend Christmas than opening presents and drinking eggnog, the holiday had really lost its touch for Lukas. The large parties just weren't his thing.

Lukas stopped, his eyes resting on the dark woods. As long as he stuck close to town, there shouldn't be any monsters. So, letting his thoughts continue to wander, Lukas walked out into snowing forest.

Somewhere an owl was letting out the occasional hoot, the trees rustling in the gentle breeze. Pogonip glinted in the moonlight.

Lukas loved how peaceful winter nights were. The others were always just complaining that it was cold, snow was annoying to shovel, they hated wearing heavy warm clothing. What happened to spending cold days in front of a fire or building snowmen? Was it that hard to look at the positive side of things.

Lukas stopped, a smile finding its way onto his lips at the sight of the frozen creek in front of him. Exactly the place he had been looking for.

The creek was one of Lukas's favourite places to visit, in both summer and winter. Something about it was so peaceful and calm. Even though the town was just on the other wise of the trees, the area felt like it was miles away from any civilisation.