Chapter two

We ended up in a local coffee shop called Underground.

     "Who are you?" I asked causally for the hundredth time.

     "Not here." He replied just like every other time.

     He is making me so angry. For the longest time I've know there were others born with my curse. It felt unnatural to me that I was to be the only one cursed with poisoning people. I can sense he is like me I just thought they all would have green eyes, yet his are icy blue.

     "Why not?" I asked after a moment of silence.

     "Because-" he grabbed my hand from across the table. "Follow my lead." He whispered.

     "Okay." I whispered and let him grab my hand. it has been years since someone's skin has touched mine, his hands were freezing and smooth. He leaned across the table wanting me to meet him half way. Was he going to kiss me?

     "There are four government agents that won't hesitate to shoot either of us if we don't blend in. So, I suggest you calm down and giggle after I remove my head from the side of yours." He whispered in my ear and I did as I was told. Apparently the old 'we're a couple' trick would have to do. I had no idea if he was even telling the truth, but was I going to take the change and get shot? Hell no.

   For the next twenty minutes I acted as if I was in a relationship with the nameless cold man. The government agents not so secretly radioed their supervisor that the subjects weren't here. It's nice to know that the government thinks of its people as subjects.

     "Let's go" Blue eyes said throwing down a hundred dollar bill on the table. He grabbed my hand and led me out of the shop.

     "Where are we off to now?" I asked trying to pry my hand free from his death grip.

     "Home." he grunted suddenly his happy mood was dropped as he gripped my hand more fiercely than before.

     "You're going to break my hand" I whimpered watching my fingertips turn purple from the lack of circulation.

     He said nothing and continued to drag me to "home" where ever that is.

~~~~~~

     Turns out "home" meant my home, where my mom dwells.

     My mother has resented me ever since I received my curse. My father died because of me, to cope she turned to drugs. She still loves me and cares, but she is lonely, depressed and afraid.

     On my twelfth birthday my father picked me up and twirled me around happy that my mother was pregnant with another child. I was ecstatic that I was finally going to be an older sister. My mother decided to share the news with me and my father for my birthday instead of a gift. My father dropped me abruptly clutching his heart. His eyes rolled back in his head, foam started to flow out of his open, screaming mouth; it was a horrid sight yet I couldn't find the strength to look away. His hands started to turn green and so did his neck. The green crept around his head until the entire amount of skin showing was completely green. My twelve year old mind had no clue what was going on. My mother hurried to call 911 screaming as she did, for her loss that was inevitable as I watched my father die on my birthday.