Chapter one

"So Tessa what'd you say? Come on I know you want to?" Jacob, one of my daily reminders of what I am, asked.

Freshman year in our English class his hand grazed against mine when I went to grab a laptop out of the kart. He lost his hand that day, and every day since the "sickness" has slowly crept its way up his arm. Today his whole arm is gone; all that is left is a nub. The doctors say he has one year left before the poison consumes his heart killing him. Every day since, he has asked me to kill him.

"No Jacob, I don't know why you keep saying I did this to you!" I am beyond ridden with guilt by playing dumb. I did this, and I should be the one to suffer.

"You and I both know it was you!" He seethed "You killed your father and you're slowly killing me." The nastiness of his voice in my ear was enough for me to want to kill him.

What did I just say? I can't kill anyone; I don't think I could live with it.

"That's enough." The man's voice was stern "Come with me Tessa" a stranger grabbed my bare arm with his bare hands before I could even protest. He whispered in my ear: "Don't worry Tessa I won't be poisoned, calm down and follow me."

This man, whoever he is, better be right because I couldn't handle killing another person.