PART 26

TWENTY-SIX - Guilt – Nowhere to hide

Maryanne couldn’t believe it when she heard about what had happened to Michelle. She had found out by their friend Linda on facebook of all places and at first she had dismissed it as ideal gossip but it didn’t take her long to confirm it as facts. She had wanted to rush to Michelle’s side straight away but Andy had advised her against it saying that Michelle was bad news. So for a little while she had done what Andy had requested and stayed away from Michelle but then guilt got the better of her and she couldn’t help from picking up her blackberry and taking the easy option she decided to send her an instant message instead of actually calling her to speak to her. So she asked “Hey babes, please forgive me...I just heard (she lied) whats happened...I feel so sick, can I come round to c you today please?” She then sent the message before she changed her mind and then straight away she received a message back from Michelle saying “Hi MaryA...good 2 hear from u...r u ok? Need to talk 2 u asap...but I am not at my flat...I am staying out the ends...can I call you quickly now? Can you talk discretely?” Now she was worried because she could tell by Michelle message that she was being cagey about something and she also didn’t reveal where she was staying. So she sent her a message back telling her that it was fine for her to give her a call now. So she held her blackberry in her hand as she waited for Michelle to ring her phone and after a few minutes it started ringing and she was relieved to see that it was Michelle’s name that appeared as the caller on the phones screen.

“Hey Hun...I don’t know what to say...I am so, so, so sorry babes!”Maryanne blurted down the line.

“Hi MaryA...shit happens init...I’m just lucky to be alive...but listen I can’t stay on the phone long...but what happened to me was a result of what we did to Dennis!”Michelle said in a whisper but loud enough for Maryanne to hear her words very clearly.

“What do you mean Michelle? What are you talking about...do you mean that he attacked you!” Maryanne said in shock as she waited in anticipation for Michelle to carry on talking.

“No he didn’t do it to me personally but I was wet in my face because of my part init...I was getting threatening calls first, I was warned that I was going to pay for my deeds and I tried to get in contact with you but you blanked all my calls MaryA...why did you diss me?”Michelle asked softly as she revealed her hurt by Maryanne’s disloyalty as it showed through in her voice, a voice that wasn’t recognisable to Maryanne’s as belonging to Michelle even though it obviously did.

“I’m sorry Michelle...I haven’t got anything in my defence to say to you...I was being selfish as I didn’t want to be involved in the drama anymore and I just didn’t have the heart to tell you the truth. Things are going so well for me and I just didn’t want you to mess anything up but I wasn’t being a real friend and I am deeply sorry. When you needed me I wasn’t there for you, you were there for me when my parents were killed...ooh babes...what did he do to you?”

“It don’t matter Maryanne...what is done is done but as for my face...well I don’t think that any man will be chirping me any time soon. He fucked up my face good and proper and that’s that!”

“I am so sorry Mich...Oh my god...I wanna kill him, have you told the police yet who it is?”Maryanne asked as she secretly cried and was able not to sob out but was unable to prevent the tears from falling.

“No don’t be crazy Michelle...I am alive, too many people have been killed, hurt and for what? I aint getting the Five O involved in nothing. They already visited me at the hospital because the fucking nurses called them when they saw I had been knifed in the face. But I lied and said I was attacked by a complete stranger, they don’t fucking believe me but who cares...they don’t fucking care bout us out here so fuck them. It’s not just only my life that’s at stake here Mich...think about it, if he found me so fucking easily and wiped out Marcus and Tony and is still walking the streets...If I go to the Five O then he will come after me, you and Tyrese...no way...no fucking way!” Michelle said very quickly as she raised her voice slightly towards the end.