Chapter 3: Bad Habits

“Oh come on,” Lani shouted at the screen, “I told you the sister did it now did I?!”

“But don’t you that remember how Julia stayed over night?” I pointed out to her, and she just groaned as she laid back down on the couch, “I hate these mind game tv shows.”

Lani came over my place on my day off and we did our traditional “Yell at the TV for the hell of it” bondings. The title says it all, and we like to pretend that the characters could respond to us even though it’s not true.

“It’s been months since we last saw each other, huh?” I blurted out, feeling a bit nostalgic, and Lani nodded, “Yeah, it’s been a while, how you’ve been?”

“Great.” I played with my little Dani, “London is treating me well. How’s your hectic life?”

“Hectic.” Lani chuckled as she took some popcorn, “The guys driving me nuts, Luke being a butt, and such.”

“You love him,” I rolled my eyes at her and she nodded, “Yeah, not even denying it. Is there a guy for you?”

I shook my head, “Not really, keeping my options open really.”

“Right, cause you’re trying to take the whole ‘life changing experience’ to a whole a new level of crazy.”

I shrugged, “I guess.”

“Hold on,” She let out her hands, “Did Miss Natalie Pierretta not sass me back?”

“Oh hardi har har,” I laugh sarcastically, and shrugged again, “Not much people like my sassy attitude.”

“Since when you cared about the people caring? Remember how you openly insulted Megan about her new bag that she bragged about all day at school?”

“That bag reminded me of a horse tail!” I explained, laughing, “It’s not my fault that it looked hideous and I had to tell her before she makes a fool of herself.”

“Exactly.” Lani got up, and plopped next to me, “You always had this way of just openly admitting stuff. I get that you’re trying to make anew, and be a new person, but there was nothing wrong with the old you.”

“Sister dearest thought otherwise.”

“Well, May could get over it.” Lani scoffed, “I’m not a big fan of her either. Insulting the guys as if her opinion matters.”

I chuckled, remembering how my sistar, May, said how 5sos looks like a bunch of dirty guys that needed a bath, and how they don’t really play live cause “she knows so”. My sister is a little wanna be know it all.

“I really hated it when she said that Luke was pretending to play live!” Lani exclaimed more about my dear sister, “I mean, I KNOW THEY DO. THE AMOUNTS OF TIMES I HEARD THE SPONGEBOB SONG PLAYING JUST SO THEY COULD ANNOY ME DROVE ME NUTS.”

“Sounds fun to me.” I said to her, calmly, and she shook her head, “Trust me, the melody will forever haunt you.”

“Speaking of melody, how’s the guy’s song writing?” I asked her, and she grinned, “Great. They have a bunch of new stuff, and they refuse to show me any.”

“And why not?”

“They want me to be ‘surprised by their awesomeness’ or something like that.” She air quoted.

“How come I have a feeling Michael is the one who said that?” I said, having a gut feeling, and Lani nudged me, saying, “That’s because it was.”

“Of course.” I shook my head, knowing MIchael would say that.

“How are you and Michael?” Lani asked, curiously, “You two been getting closer.”

“I guess.” I shrugged again, sighing, “I mean, we’re not serious or we’ll never be, I’m just trying to keep our friendship simple. Nothing complicated and such. I mean,” I looked at her, “Don’t wanna pull off what you guys did.”

“Everyone keeps bringing up how complicated we were!” Lani groaned, putting her head back, “It was not that bad!”

“Yeah, that’s because it was terrible.” I chuckled once Lani rested her head on my shoulder, “I know it was. Stop bringing it up.”

“Fine, fine.” I stopped, and changed the subject, “I just wants us to be friends, that’s all.”

“Friends with benefits?” Lani poked my side, making me squeal, “STOOP! No! Not like that!”

“Okay, okay,” Lani scooted away, “Just saying, someone is bound to break out of the friend zone.”

“And it’s not gonna be me that’s for sure.”

Later, Lani and I decided to be total girls, and hang out at the mall to do some shopping.

“Love you too.” Lani said on the phone, obviously talking to Luke, “Alright, pay me back, later okay? Okay, bye.”

When she hung up, she shook her head as she sighed, “I swear, my boyfriend cares about his hair more than I do with mine.’

“That hair height doesn’t go up itself, ya know~” I elbowed her as we both started laughing.

As we kept walking around, I noticed a familiar group of people.

“Hey Natalie!” I saw Tom waving his hand at me, and I waved back as I started walking towards them, “Hey guys.”

Tom was with a bunch of our friends, or at least, his friends who think they’re my friends also.

“Haven’t seen you in a while, Nat!” One of the girls, Amber, smiled at me, and I shrugged, “You know me, been busy at work and such.”

“Well, we’re having a party later, wanna come?”

If it was Ro asking me, I would straight up say No, parties are stupid but then this a girl who doesn’t know what goes in my head, so I restrained myself for speaking out, and said, “Sounds fun. Mind if I bring some friends also?”

“Of course!” She nodded happily, “Hope you come!”

I nodded warily, “Yeah, uh,” I looked at Lani who was standing awkwardly and introduced her, saying, “This is Lani, she’s my best friend from back home.”

“Oh!” Another girl jumped, I think her name is Carrie but I could be wrong, “I remember Natalie mentioning you!”

“Awww,” Lani grinned at me, feeling flattered, “How cute!”

“Is Miss Natalie over here as shy as she appears to be back home?” Tom put his arm around my shoulder when he asked that.

Lani shot a look at me, and I just gave her a nervous smile.

“Sure,” Lani nodded, obviously confused on what Tom just asked, “You could say that.”

“I swear,” Tom waved his hand, “I remember the first time I met Natalie, she was so quiet! I mean, didn’t speak a word to me. All she did was nodded and smiled. I thought she was stuck up or something, but it turns out she was just shy.”

“Oh really?” Lani crossed her arms at me, “Interesting cause when I first met her, it was in history class and she started ranting about how boring the class was to me and wouldn’t be quiet about it.”

“Woah,” Tom looked at me, surprised, “That’s different.”

“Yeah,” I nodded, feeling uncomfortable as ever, “Different, anyways!” I jumped away from them, “Lani and I have some catching up to do so see you guys later!”

“Oh,” Tom looked startled by my sudden jump, but smiled at me, “Yeah, see you.”

“Come on, Lani.” I grabbed Lani’s hand and literally sprinted away from them.

Once we reached as far away from them, I crossed my arms at Lani, “What the hell was that?!”

“What?!” She exclaimed, “Excuse me, but I should be the one asking you that! Shy? Seriously, Nat? We all know that’s a bunch of baloney.”

I rolled my eyes, feeling irritated, “If you haven’t noticed but I’m trying to present myself different here.”

“Why is that?”

“You know exactly why.”

“But the fact that you’re turning yourself into the complete opposite of who you are now is not acceptable.”

“Okay, May or Mother, want me to go with your orders?”

“See!” Lani pointed at me, “How come you don’t sass anyone anymore? What was wrong with that?”

“Everyone thought I was being rude, remember?”

“But you didn’t care about that, remember?”

“Oh yeah, I remember the dirty looks everyone gave me back at school.”

“Not everyone did, Nat. I didn’t do that and you gave me the longest, funniest, honestly totally messed up rant about History when I first met you.”

I sighed, shaking my head, “You don’t understand, Lani. Who I was back then wasn’t okay. Later, it just got too much for not only me but for everyone. Everyone thought I was twisted in a way, and didn’t really like my behavior.”

“And? Who cares? They shouldn’t be the reason why you should change yourself to a 180 version of who are now, and you’re definitely not shy.”

I chuckled, “I wasn’t being shy, actually. I was just holding back my thoughts. You know me, and burst out whatever pops up in my twisted brain of mine. When Tom first met me, I was trying to process the disastrous drunks around me. Including Tom.”

“Sounds interesting.” Lani added, smiling, “But still, this change thing is making me uncomfortable. It’s like I’m gonna loose my best friend, Nat.”

“That’s not gonna happen, Lani!” I put my hands on her shoulder, assuring her, “I’m just trying to break some bad habits, okay?”

“If you say so.” She sighed as she crossed my arms, “But become the girl you claim you’ll never be, and I swear I knock some sense into that twisted head of yours.”

----------------------------------------------------------
SHORT BUT HEY, I LIKE THIS CHAPTER.

A little view of Lani and Nat’s friendship ^^

Anyways, love you guys!