Chapter 2: Kitty

“The blondie is definitely the site for the sore eye.” Ro grinned as we were wiping down tables during our shift.

“Shut up, blondie is taken.”

After the hang out, the guys got drunk a little too early and Lani had to take them home before Luke decides to have a major make out session with Lani in front of everyone. Yes, it happened before and it was, quote on quote, “The most disgusting yet sexiest thing Luke ever done to me.”
The couple is weird. Adorable, but definitely weird.

“So the colored hair guy is Michael? Your boy that is not a boyfriend friend?”

“Yeahp.” I popped the P as I nodded to her question.

“No wonder you have no interest in the nice suite clean dressed guys, Michael is like the opposite.”

“And that’s what I like about him.”

“Why don’t you two just go kiss and date already?”

I shrugged, “He’s a busy guy, I’m a busy girl. There’s time for those kinds of things.”

“So you would rather have those kinds of relationships when you two act like a couple but you’re not cause it’s too much effort?”

“Okay, put it that way, it sounds twisted in a way.”

“No shit.” She threw her towel at me, laughing, “But hey, if you’re happy and content with the things you have Michael, then I should keep my mouth shut.”

“Thank you.” I smiled at her, happy that the conversation is over.

Let me remind you that Michael and I don’t really take love so seriously. I feel like we’re too goofy and oblivious for a relationship. It’s okay for me because honestly, I’m not really into the commitment scene. You get love struck and forget about your morals and loose your dignity to some who could possibly break you.

How do I know? Just like Lani, I was broken before.

I came from a small town in Michigan before I came to San Francisco due to my families  jobs. Anyways, yes, there was a boy that I was hooked on, and I was head over heels for this guy. He was the perfect guy. Smart, talented, athletic, and super attractive. A lot of girls fell for him by sophomore year since he had a hair cut, and wore contacts, but I, on the other hand, fell for him since day one. Even though he wore dorky glasses and had a shaggy hair, I had a thing for him and that terrible thing hit me like train and I became a love struck idiot. We would talk, have mutual conversations, became friends, and got to know each other but then, the faithful day, I confessed to him. Why? I have no idea. My gut said so and I was angry at my gut cause he rejected me. Said I was too much in a way. Whatever that means, but since that day, I’ve been afraid to show who I really am to anyone. Should I even mention how Lani is the first person I ever showed my whole full self to? It’s already obvious so let’s move along shall we?

To make this long story short, I’m a twisted person. The way I act, how I behave, and such. It drives people away from me. That’s why I want to change who I am. I know it’s encourage not to and just embrace it, but then again, when life gives you a new fresh start, why not take advantage, right?
Later, as I was handling the cash register, I heard the door opened.

“Hello!” I greeted the customer as I quickly finished the cash register, “Just tell me when your ready to order.”

“I would like to order a date with the cute barista in front of me.”

When I heard the voice, I knew exactly who it was and smiled at the customer, “Sorry, but that’s on the menu.”

Michael grew this mischievous grin, saying, “Have you ever heard of a special order?”

“Smooth,” I nodded, impressed, “Cute way of asking a girl on a date.”

He shrugged, obviously proud of his flirtation, “I’m just a natural.”

“Oh whatever.” I rolled my eyes, and smiled, “What brings you here, dear sir?”

“Mind if you want to drop by our place? Spend time with Lani, she’s been dying to see you. Her and Luke are currently meeting Lani’s dad’s side of the family while we’re still in London.”

“That’s right.” I pointed at him, “Lani is English, I keep forgetting that.”

“I forget too.”

We both started laughing, till someone behind Michael coughed, making us stop.

“Sorry..” Michael scooted away as the man in a suite came up to me, and said, “Black coffee please, largest size you got.”

“Of course.” I punched in the order, and when the guy was finishing paying, I took a quick glance at Michael who was grinning at me as I was working.

“Thank you sir, your oder will be out shortly.” I said to the customer as I gave him his change.

Once he walked away, Michael came to me, and leaned in, saying, “Have I ever told you how attractive a girl is when she’s in uniform?”

“Watch yourself, flirting while I’m the clock will get me fired.” I playfully pushed him away and started making the black coffee order.

I don’t know why but when I know Michael is in the room, my heart begins to flutter. It’s abnormal on how fast my heart will beat when he’s around. Is it the clear green eyes? Or the stupid grin that he loves to flash at me? Or the fact that when we talk, I feel insanely comfy around him? Which is hazardous cause I want to keep myself intact. I don’t want to scare him away, you know.

When I was done with the order and gave the man his drink, Michael continued to bother me, saying, “Oh come on, Lili, you know you want to spend time with me.”

“I have to work, Mimi.” I sighed, as I headed out and picked up some trash from the table.

“Since when you liked working? I remember back when you were in San Francisco, you hate being told what to do from a person who thinks they have authority over you.”

I paused and sighed. Damn, something I would definitely say.

“Look,” I began to wipe the table, “Now that I’m living in London without any family members, I have to take care of myself, meaning, doing some sacrifice and work.”

“What happened to living large, go big, or go home kind of vibe?” Michael sat down on the table, still bugging me.

“Michael, if you haven’t noticed but I’m trying to make a living here.”

“But why?”

I took a deep breathe. Okay, let’s just say that I never told Michael why I moved to London. The only person who knows is Lani and Ro, probably the only two people that I trust fully since Lani is my best friend and Ro is my roommate.

I can’t just tell Michael that I want to change who I am cause knowing him, he’ll try to persuade me to go back to normal twisted self or maybe find it weird and leave me completely. Gosh, why is life is so complicated? Why does over thinking ruin everything?

“Natalie~” Michael waved his hand in front of  me which made me blink, bringing me back out of space, “You okay?”

I nodded, mumbling, “Fine.”

I walked back inside the counter, and behind the cash register while Michael followed.

“Come on, Nat! Do it for Lani?” Michael started giving me puppy dogs eyes that made me feel weak in the knees.

Get the hold of yourself, Natalie.

“Fine.” I groaned, “Can you go away now?”

“Feisty.” Michael made a cat hissing sound which made me let out a laugh.

For a guy trying to be punk rock, he still reminds me of the kitty he gave me.

--------------------------------------

super short chapter, sorry. life is being butt as always, but i hope you guys enjoy natalie so far cause i do <3

she's so sassy, i love it.